Turning 26...need insurance..any suggestions?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Lilbellz04

Pharmacy Student
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi everyone,

So I am turning 26 at the end of January and will be discontinued from my parent's insurance. I have never bought insurance and am not sure what plans are out there and which are actually good.

I don't have any conditions and rarely go to the physician's office except for yearly physicals to get my immunizations and TB shot. No prescription drugs either nor do I smoke. I am hoping that my monthly premiums are low and can cover me for the basics.

If anyone has any suggestions that they know of I would greatly appreciate it! Thanks!
 
If you are in college or in pharmacy school you will automatically be covered by their plan for a fee.

I am covered under my pharmacy school's insurance for $550 a semester.
 
Hi everyone,

So I am turning 26 at the end of January and will be discontinued from my parent's insurance. I have never bought insurance and am not sure what plans are out there and which are actually good.

I don't have any conditions and rarely go to the physician's office except for yearly physicals to get my immunizations and TB shot. No prescription drugs either nor do I smoke. I am hoping that my monthly premiums are low and can cover me for the basics.

If anyone has any suggestions that they know of I would greatly appreciate it! Thanks!

My school recommends all of its students apply for medicaid. Maybe you can look into that.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi everyone,

So I am turning 26 at the end of January and will be discontinued from my parent's insurance. I have never bought insurance and am not sure what plans are out there and which are actually good.

I don't have any conditions and rarely go to the physician's office except for yearly physicals to get my immunizations and TB shot. No prescription drugs either nor do I smoke. I am hoping that my monthly premiums are low and can cover me for the basics.

If anyone has any suggestions that they know of I would greatly appreciate it! Thanks!

Try your school's plan or if you work enough hrs, you might be able to get some (at a higher premium) from your employer.
 
Look into student insurance from your school, probably around $2k/yr. Often they will have the option to get outpatient coverage through student health center very cheaply. Also if your parents are willing to lend you support in case of rare high cost events, you may consider couple student health center coverage with a high deductible catastrophic coverage only plan that may can be had for less than $100/month, with your parents cover the out of pocket between the two coverages.
 
Talk to your insurance agent. S/he will be able to guide you towards a plan that would be suitable for you, if you are not qualified for Medicaid.
 
Sign up for a class at the local university
As a student, sign up for the school insurance (cheap and decent)
Fail the class and repeat
 
Look up your local farmers bureau and if they offer any benefits. When I needed insurance, it was like $10/year to join. Then, I got a discount that made it cheaper and a better insurance plan than what the school offered.