Turning down interviews?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

goodoldalky

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was recently accepted to my home state school, which is a very good school and considerably less expensive than most private schools. I don't know too much about my state school except that it's sort of gunnerish albeit well respected. I like it but am not sold on it.

I've gotten interview offers from a couple of not-so-highly ranked private schools and am thinking about passing them up based on the higher cost (~2x as much) alone. Plus, it's $300 - $400 just to go interview. Am I nuts for passing up an opportunity here, or would I be crazy to even consider breaking the bank somewhere else? Anyone with any experience here?

Members don't see this ad.

You might get better replies if you say what the schools involved are.

Members don't see this ad :)
I turned down several interviews after I got my first acceptance. Really no one can tell you if this is a good idea but you.
Do you still think you might be interested in those schools? I wouldn't worry too much about the price-tag at this point. Sometimes finaid can even the playing field between a state and private school.

I was recently accepted to my home state school, which is a very good school and considerably less expensive than most private schools. I don't know too much about my state school except that it's sort of gunnerish albeit well respected. I like it but am not sold on it.

I've gotten interview offers from a couple of not-so-highly ranked private schools and am thinking about passing them up based on the higher cost (~2x as much) alone. Plus, it's $300 - $400 just to go interview. Am I nuts for passing up an opportunity here, or would I be crazy to even consider breaking the bank somewhere else? Anyone with any experience here?

Maybe try asking yourself this question. If I got accepted to all of these schools, which would I attend? You should have enough info to answer this question by now. If you're answer is the state school, ditch the interviews. If it's one of those other schools, go on the interview. This is an important decision...if you would seriously consider going one of those other schools I say go on the interview.

You might get better replies if you say what the schools involved are.

I'm hesitant to post this information but I suppose it's necessary.
I've been accepted to the University of Nebraska and the other two schools are Jefferson and SLU.

I'm hesitant to post this information but I suppose it's necessary.
I've been accepted to the University of Nebraska and the other two schools are Jefferson and SLU.

I personally don't think either of those schools is worth the price over Nebraska. Of course, that's a determination that you need to make.

I would only go on other interviews if you're truely not satisfied with the school you've gotten into and U think you might have regrets later. I've turned down 9 interviews so far and although it was really hard to turn down the first one (b/c I felt like I was giving up an opportunity) I don't regret my decision at all. Hope this helps. :oops: