Medical Turning down medical school acceptance for a spouse's health issue?

Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr.Smile12

Admissions advisor
Staff member
Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I've seen a lot of posts on SDN and reddit that give the same verdict on whether or not to turn down a medical school acceptance: do NOT turn an acceptance down. However, I think I'm in a unique situation where my spouse was diagnosed with a life-threatening disease that requires treatment at a specific medical center where they have a longstanding relationship with the hospital physicians and staff. Will I completely be barred from medical school in the future if I turn down an acceptance at a medical school that is across the country? I'm not sure that I can be happy if I commit to this school.

Ask the student affairs office. Get a student handbook. Find out what you need to do for a leave of absence. Figure out if you can request a deferral. NEVER turn down an acceptance, but let admissions and student affairs know early.
 
Agree that I would first explore deferral or LOA. But failing that, you have a legitimate life circumstance that has changed that could not have been foreseen. You applied and committed to enroll in good faith. If you need to decline you have a good reason that should be seen reasonably well should you need to reapply.

but again. Try to get deferral/LOA
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Status
Not open for further replies.