Tutoring a non-science

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

RespectTheChemistry

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I am considering becoming a peer mentor (the people who run the review sessions and answer student questions via email) for a Health Science class. It's Into to Audiology, which is about the physiology of hearing, hearing aids/cochlear implants, and auditory development, especially in the context of fostering language development.

I have two questions:

A.) Even though I think this is something I'd enjoy, I only have so much time to allocate to ECs and have a lot of other things going on (I volunteer 8-12 hours a week already on top of other responsibilities). I just want to make sure it's valued enough in admissions to be worth the time it will cost me.

B.) Is tutoring for a non-science class less valued than tutoring for a science class? It seems like everyone tutors prereqs which makes sense both because they're hard and because it helps review concepts for the MCAT. However, given that, I'd like to ask if non-science tutoring is less valued than science tutoring. I'm eying a good non-science letter from the professor who teaches this class, so I have that going for me too as a pro for taking the position.

Thanks!

- K

Members don't see this ad.

Physiology of hearing and the fostering of language developoment seems pretty "sciencey" to me. As a tutor you'd be breaking down complex topics related to human physiology, psychology, physics, neuroscience and much more. You aren't tutoring French or French Horn. Go with it. Teaching/tutoring at the college level is a good skill to be able to demonstrate.

Reactions: 2 users
Thanks, @LizzyM! Another good point your post made me consider is that teaching skills are useful for physicians in explaining conditions and treatment options to patients, so it would just be a good skill to have in my toolbox. Tutors here get formal pedagogy training.

Reactions: 1 users