T'was the night before your interview...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ReapPremed

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
For those of you with hard-earned acceptances: its 8pm, you're in your hotel room, and you're interviewing the next morning. What did you do all night?

In the week leading up to it I'm sure you've done a refresher on your PS and ECs, worked on a coherent pitch for "why medicine", and pondered questions to ask your interviewer. Did you do any preparatory work the night before? Explore the city? Watch a Hallmark Christmas special?

I'm mostly curious if there's any benefit to that last minute prep work. My gut tells me no, to relax, and get a good night's sleep. But what do I know?

Members don't see this ad.

I would sleep as long and deep as possible. You'll be sharpest if you're well-rested.

Wish I could have followed my own advice - the combination of horrible insomnia, working third shift, and interview anxiety combined to net me a grand total of 2.5 hours of sleep before my first interview. :dead:

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Nice dinner, couple drinks, then Netflix till I fell asleep.

I read over some prep material briefly (my essays & topics to talk about at the school). I then relaxed for the rest of the evening.

To be honest, I try to keep things as normal as possible. I psyche myself out if I start treating experiences as "special" in preparation before a big event. If the interview was in my home city, then I just go about my life the night before. Work, hang out with my dog, etc. If I travel for the interview, then I tour the city the day/evening before and do some light shopping/dining. Basically everything I would normally do if I were in a different city.

So I just try not to get too worked up about it. However, I will avoid doing completely brand new things, if that makes sense. So I won't try a brand new restaurant/food dish if I've never had it before. I won't go on some driving adventure or theme park tour or something the day(s) before. Etc.

Good luck!

Reactions: 1 user
I cram lol. I'm doing MMI scenarios, answering common questions, reading the bioethics, timing myself,the whole works. Usually treat myself to a nice meal of wings. I usually target 7 hours of sleep. So far it has produced good results (knocks on wood).

Second the sleep advice. Wish I could sleep, but the anxiety kept me awake for I don't know how long.

Had an early dinner, read over material/notes on the school, and then went to bed earlier than normal.