Twitter

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
True, difference being Twitter denied shadow banning people and posts. That is what is being released/discussed now - that they have been doing this for years despite them denying it.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Ohh the irony. Only Elon gets to control the leaks. He bought it so he gets to break it.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Conservatives are unable to wrap their minds around the idea that they got de-amplified more not because they're conservative, but because, on average, conservatives engaged in much more misinformation spreading since the election or since the pandemic started.

Say Twitter has a misinformation policy. And say a German guy tweets 2+2=4 and an Italian guy tweets 2+2=5. And following these events the Italian guy gets banned. Essentially what conservatives are doing is saying the latter guy was banned just cause Twitter is biased against Italians. Notice not once do they bring up whether the people who got de-amplified were actually saying factual things or not.
Oh I get it now. Liberals always know best but conservatives need to be saved from their stupidity by liberals who deamplify them.

AFAIK the NYPOST website worked just fine in 2020 and anyone who wanted to read the stories could read them then. There’s a difference between censorship and private organizations making editorial decisions and moderating content. I could post things that would get me immediately banned on SDN. But I could easily post it somewhere else. I don’t have a right to have my views amplified on any particular forum.
So we have established you agree with censorship. How do you feel about it when it’s the Chinese government doing the censoring, or better yet, Putin?

Yes, the owner of a company gets to control the release of its confidential information.

I agree. It’s his right, he paid for it. It’s just funny to me that he claims that he wants to “shine a light” but not too much light;)

Reactions: 2 users
Why is it when a company does something unsavory on countless occasions it's CAPITALISM and not illegal so nananabooboo but now it's suddenly a problem?

The left says some straight asinine things IMO but this whole right winger "we are tough" and then go cry to mom BS is so disingenuous. This is like elbowing people in a pick up game "playing hard" and then calling touch fouls on the other yeam. No one likes that person. It's worse than the other person who wants the whole game strictly calling touch fouls. Just freaking pick if you want to be the tough guy or the baby. This going back and forth is stale.

I dunno. I never tried to access the NYPost from China.
I understand you are trying to make a difference between private and public censorship. But in this case you have government officials within the fbi and White House who are asking a private organization to censor news. In the case of the hunter Biden story the my post was correct in its reporting but the fbi made up a silly Russian disinformation story and asked Twitter to censor people like Kayleigh mcenany who were trying to shed light on a factual story.

In my mind that is public censorship at least to a degree.

Members don't see this ad :)
I understand you are trying to make a difference between private and public censorship. But in this case you have government officials within the fbi and White House who are asking a private organization to censor news. In the case of the hunter Biden story the my post was correct in its reporting but the fbi made up a silly Russian disinformation story and asked Twitter to censor people like Kayleigh mcenany who were trying to shed light on a factual story.

In my mind that is public censorship at least to a degree.

Are you referring to this?

The guy was not working for the FBI. He was working for Twitter. Maybe Trump fired him from the FBI when he became president, and this Baker fellow had a personal vendetta against Trump.

FBI and White House “officials” were all working for Trump in 2020. Who were the officials? Jared? Stephen Miller?

Last edited:
Liberals did whine a lot about content moderation on conservative flavored sites like parler and truth social. To the point that Amazon, apple, and Google booted them off their web hosting services last year.

Everyone who has been on this forum for a while knows I am tilted left although most of the time I am real middle of the road. “Fiscally consetvative, socially liberal” type.

I can assure you that the vast majority of “liberals” do not give one crap about right wing sites and nobody goes there to read the tripe and/or argue with the dotards. If you believe this you have bought the right wing anger hook line and sinker.

Last edited:
Reactions: 9 users
Are you referring to this?

The guy was not working for the FBI. He was working for Twitter. Maybe Trump fired him from the FBI when he became president, and this Baker fellow had a personal vendetta against Trump.

No. I’m referring to the head of content moderation at twitter Yoel Roth had weekly meetings with fbi officials to discuss censoring of certain posts that were “misinformation.” During these meetings the fbi was warning twitter that the Russians were going to try and influence the election by hacking and release of the hacked info. This was deemed to be the hunter Biden laptop story so when it came out twitter deamplified it and put a “hacked material” warning on it. Now we know the story turned out to be true and the hacking by the Russians was false.

Yes, Amazon web services only suspended Parler cause of liberal bias. Certainly nothing to do with posts like the following not being moderated at all

sub-buzz-2312-1610242888-1.png

Everyone who has been on this forum for a while knows I am tilted left although most of the time I am reall middle of the road. “Fiscally consetvative, socially liberal” type.

I can assure you that the vast majority of “liberals” do not give one crap about right wing sites and nobody goes there to read the tripe and/or argue with the dotards. If you believe this you have bought the right wing anger hook line and sinker.
Well CNN believed it enough to report it.

• Haha
No. I’m referring to the head of content moderation at twitter Yoel Roth had weekly meetings with fbi officials to discuss censoring of certain posts that were “misinformation.” During these meetings the fbi was warning twitter that the Russians were going to try and influence the election by hacking and release of the hacked info. This was deemed to be the hunter Biden laptop story so when it came out twitter deamplified it and put a “hacked material” warning on it. Now we know the story turned out to be true and the hacking by the Russians was false.

The FBI director at the time was Christopher Wray, a Trump nominee.

So liberals have less misinformation than conservatives. And conservatives deserve more shadow banning.

Liberals have no problem with conservative sites being ran however they choose. (Which is why they all were so cool with musk taking it over).

Conservatives try to act like they are tough. So they should never whine about unfairness, unlevel playing field or hypocrisy on the other side.

Liberals are okay with censorship by a private company. So if a private company tried to refuse service to certain groups, they would be okay with it.

Before: Twitter was not secretly shadowbanning conservative people. They was just paranoid conspiracy theories from nut jobs.
Now: so what if they were shadowbanning and lying about it. It is a big nothing burger.

Summary from my perspective. You guys seem a touch biased. I am stuck wondering if you believe the things you say. Or if you think others are dumb enough to believe the things you say.

PS- I’ve never been on twitter and couldn’t care less about twitter

Twitter and Facebook can set whatever rules they want and limit certain posts. When the hunter laptop story came out, there was real concern it was a fake story meant to influence the election, and they made a decision to limit the posts about it. They should have been more transparent about the fact that they had banned people however. This is not the same as Chinas great firewall despite what republicans make it out to be.

• Haha
Twitter and Facebook can set whatever rules they want and limit certain posts. When the hunter laptop story came out, there was real concern it was a fake story meant to influence the election, and they made a decision to limit the posts about it. They should have been more transparent about the fact that they had banned people however. This is not the same as Chinas great firewall despite what republicans make it out to be.
Hunter is a greaseball, nobody disputes that - have you seen Don Jr., Eric and Ivanka, they are as slimy as it gets!

• Hmm
The thing is, there WASN’T “real concern” that it was fake. The FBI had already had 12 months to determine whether it was real or not. The laptop had been in their possession for quite some time. The FBI KNEW it was real, KNEW the info was about to be released (by others) to the general public, and INSTEAD of just telling Twitter it was legit (not “Russian disinformation”) they told Twitter “Hey, there could be some info coming out that could be fake, esp regarding Hunter, you need to avoid letting it spread.”.

That’s why (at least some) folks think this is a “scandal”. The FBI fooled Twitter into thinking this was likely “disinformation”, when they (FBI) knew darned good and well it was real.

As for “shadowbanning”, are we aware of any folks with a “liberal slant” that got banned??

Sure, Twitter was a private company, that could ban what they wanted, but I think it was looked at as a place where folks ACROSS the political spectrum could discuss their beliefs and news, not like a Democratic Underground or Bobistheoilguy or some other run-of-the-mill internet forum, where political dissent isn’t allowed, or where politics/political events aren’t supposed to be discussed.

I don’t think anyone is saying this is the biggest political scandal of the decade, but it seems like a FEW of the folks here ARE trying to dismiss this as “nothing”.

Reactions: 3 users
Why is there always confusion about this? Private companies (like SDN) can censor WTF they want to!
There is no confusion. I just hear liberals lose their minds if there is censorship….against the left’s issues. I’m not making the case for/against private censoring.

Most on the left saw great evidence of the right’s manipulation with Russian collusion deal. Now most of the right will see this as evidence the left is manipulating everything. And neither side will listen or trust the other side. They will assume it is just more manipulation. And it will breath more life into conspiracies that elections were stolen. Most on the right will see this as confirmation of everything else they believe the left does.

I will say. It seems like there is infinite more evidence in this situation of meddling than others. It’s actually beyond evidence. I can’t believe the idiots didn’t erase all of this incriminating stuff before Elon took over (overpaid).

Hunter is a greaseball, nobody disputes that - have you seen Don Jr., Eric and Ivanka, they are as slimy as it gets!
Serious question. Why are they slimy too? Bc Trumps kids, raised rich and entitled? Nepotism? I assume these things but I honestly don’t know anything besides they got government jobs or advisers. And one sells perfume.

Disagree. Twitter is nothing like Fox News/NYT. Twitter, along with Google /Facebook, are the gatekeepers for information and speech in our digital society. There are no competitors. Who uses yahoo/myspace/parlor? No one. Meta/Google/Twitter , in my opinion, have a responsibility to disclose what they are censoring. Especially if they are publicly stating there is no censorship on their platform.

Totally agree. There's a compelling argument that these social media platforms and ISPs with monopoly or near-monopoly reach ought to be treated like utilities. Especially if they're going to enjoy legal immunity when their users commit crimes using their services.

There's a bit of a Leopards Ate My Face moment here for conservatives, or what passes for "conservative" in the last ~6 years. If they really believe in unrestricted free speech, maybe they shouldn't have fought net neutrality tooth and nail in the name of corporate freedom, unregulated capitalism, and (of course) stiggin' it to the Dems to unravel anything Obama touched.

Let's all just take a moment and remember who was president and whose FCC repealed the net neutrality rules in 2017.

12/14/2017 New York Time said:
The Federal Communications Commission voted on Thursday to dismantle rules regulating the businesses that connect consumers to the internet, granting broadband companies the power to potentially reshape Americans’ online experiences.

The agency scrapped the so-called net neutrality regulations that prohibited broadband providers from blocking websites or charging for higher-quality service or certain content. The federal government will also no longer regulate high-speed internet delivery as if it were a utility, like phone service.

The action reversed the agency’s 2015 decision, during the Obama administration, to have stronger oversight over broadband providers as Americans have migrated to the internet for most communications.

Perhaps count the Republican votes in the House when those Dems tried to restore it.

4/10/2019 New York Times said:
The House passed legislation on Wednesday that would guarantee broadband internet users equal access to online content, in a crucial step toward bringing back so-called net neutrality regulations overturned at the start of the Trump administration.

In a 232-to-190 vote, divided along party lines, the Democratic majority made good on a promise that became a rallying cry in many progressive circles during the 2018 election. It is also expected to be held up as an issue by Democrats in 2020.

But the legislation, the Save the Internet Act, faces long odds in the Republican-led Senate. The Senate leader, Mitch McConnell, said this week that the legislation would be “dead on arrival.” Earlier this week, the Office of Management and Budget advised the White House to veto the law if it reached the president’s desk. The office said in a letter that since the law had been overturned, the broadband industry had thrived, a good sign of how deregulation helped the economy.

The legislation would prohibit blocking and throttling web traffic and would categorize broadband as a service open to heavy regulation.

2024 GOP campaign buttons are now available!

s-l1600.jpg

• Love
Reactions: 8 users
There is no confusion. I just hear liberals lose their minds if there is censorship….against the left’s issues. I’m not making the case for/against private censoring.

Most on the left saw great evidence of the right’s manipulation with Russian collusion deal. Now most of the right will see this as evidence the left is manipulating everything. And neither side will listen or trust the other side. They will assume it is just more manipulation. And it will breath more life into conspiracies that elections were stolen. Most on the right will see this as confirmation of everything else they believe the left does.

I will say. It seems like there is infinite more evidence in this situation of meddling than others. It’s actually beyond evidence. I can’t believe the idiots didn’t erase all of this incriminating stuff before Elon took over (overpaid).
Stolen elections? Nobody is saying that other than far right folks. Quite frankly, the only thing that will fix politics is fixing the citizens United ruling that the republicans pushed for, despite their commitment to “drain the swamp”.

Serious question. Why are they slimy too? Bc Trumps kids, raised rich and entitled? Nepotism? I assume these things but I honestly don’t know anything besides they got government jobs or advisers. And one sells perfume.

Jared got $2bil from the Saudi sovereign wealth fund for the PE company he formed immediately after Trump left office. Jared is a lot smarter than Hunter. Perhaps Hunter will learn and do the same when Biden leaves office.

Jared and Ivanka were both Senior Advisors to the President. Let me ask you what qualifications did they achieve in life that they were made Senior Advisors? Jared was denied top-secret clearance until Daddy-in-law raised hell.

Jared and Ivanka were both Senior Advisors to the President. Let me ask you what qualifications did they achieve in life that they were made Senior Advisors? Jared was denied top-secret clearance until Daddy-in-law raised hell.

Senior WH advisors with security clearance while simultaneously not separating themselves financially from the trump org. Junior continued to do deals in foreign countries and collect payments from foreign government personnel staying on trump US properties despite a pledge not to do those things.

Reactions: 4 users
They should have been more transparent about the fact that they had banned people however.
THANK YOU! Seriously, thank you for saying this.

THIS is ALL that people want to hear. I don't think that was hard for you to type, right? Why is it so hard for everyone else that can't seem to take off their blue lenses?

I mean - I would HOPE EVERYONE cares about honesty.

Stolen elections? Nobody is saying that other than far right folks. Quite frankly, the only thing that will fix politics is fixing the citizens United ruling that the republicans pushed for, despite their commitment to “drain the swamp”.
That is obviously who I was referencing. The right saying the elections were stolen. But you say it as if Hillary, Abrams and many other democrats haven’t squawked about stolen elections.

Jared got $2bil from the Saudi sovereign wealth fund for the PE company he formed immediately after Trump left office. Jared is a lot smarter than Hunter. Perhaps Hunter will learn and do the same when Biden leaves office.
I’d have to consider all the details but very bad idea and optics at best. But possibly worse. Hopefully everything on the up and up. If not, they should pay the price. I think there isn’t enough limits on politicians and family profiting around these situations. Needs to change. That will help remove some of the swamp.
Not the best appearance and what I was alluding to and assumed was part of the problem. The above issue seems way more problematic with 2 billion deal.
Senior WH advisors with security clearance while simultaneously not separating themselves financially from the trump org. Junior continued to do deals in foreign countries and collect payments from foreign government personnel staying on trump US properties despite a pledge not to do those things.

Elon booed at Dave Chappelle's San Francisco show:

Weird.

Musk has done more for the global warming issue - arguably - than any other person. He is working hard to improve the human experience on many fronts by solving difficult neurological disease and trying to rid the world of the plague and scourge of traffic.

Very worthy goals and a great use of his time, money, and skill.

These all seem very “left” ideas to me …very populist and for the people.

Yet the loud left (saying those on the left that are loud, not saying all people on the left are loud) ignores all that and boo him and they post mean tweets because he doesn’t like shadow-banning.

Weird.

Musk has done more for the global warming issue - arguably - than any other person. He is working hard to improve the human experience on many fronts by solving difficult neurological disease and trying to rid the world of the plague and scourge of traffic.

Yet the loud left (saying those on the left that are loud, not saying all people on the left are loud) ignores all that and boo him and they post mean tweets because he doesn’t like shadow-banning.
You can't think of anything else Elon has said or done that would upset the left? You have drunk deep of the Elon Kool aid it appears if you think Boring company is going to solve traffic or Neurolink is going to solve difficult neurological diseases; I believe that fusion is more likely to happen than either of those companies achieving those goals.

Weird.

They object to the way he treats his workers, his stance on unions ... his endorsement of GOP candidates. ;)

Also, he's at least a little bit nuts. You don't have to be a leftist or a rightist to be perplexed or annoyed with some of the things he says or does.

That loud left would probably be less loud in his direction if he'd devote more of his time, money, and skill to Tesla and SpaceX and less to dicking around with Twitter, politics, and cave rescuers.

Reactions: 7 users
You can't think of anything else Elon has said or done that would upset the left? You have drunk deep of the Elon Kool aid it appears if you think Boring company is going to solve traffic or Neurolink is going to solve difficult neurological diseases; I believe that fusion is more likely to happen than either of those companies achieving those goals.
I've been fascinated and disappointed by the Boring Company idea since the start. The point of it isn't to solve city traffic with another layer of underground streets for cars, or some stupid hyperloop idea, but rather to solve other problems by making tunneling cheaper. Cheap tunneling would alter the world in big ways. How much did the chunnel cost? How about one between Japan and Korea, or Europe and North Africa? How about an offshore, under the seabed fresh water pipeline between Alaska and California? Also, since it's Elon Musk ... obviously tunnels will be important for a Mars colony.

It's a very Elon Musk kind of company (except for it being a failure). He looks at industries that are doing a lousy job of solving a hard problem, he tries something dramatically different, and changes the way they all work. Digging tunnels is hard, slow, and expensive. It's a problem ripe for a new solution. Unfortunately it looks like they didn't bring any new ideas to the problem. Unlike SpaceX, Starlink, PayPal, Tesla, there isn't really any innovation there.

Best I can tell, they bought a used conventional tunneling machine, and have been playing with it trying to figure out a better solution.

Weird.

This has GOT to be satire.

Remaining a politically neutral-ish wacky billionaire was one of the best things he ever did for Tesla. Tesla owners were stereotyped liberal but no one ever really pegged the Tesla company as overtly left, and that allowed its brand to remain strong and grow outside of California, and for that matter, outside of the US.

And now you have people looking at Tesla, and instead of thinking what innovation is coming next....they're wondering how much more time is this insane corncob going to spend on twitter railing against wokes and Fauci and whatever the f other irrelevant bs his feverdreaming has got him obsessed with.

Reactions: 6 users
Weird.

What's funny to me about this is Elon complaining on Twitter about the "too woke" and "unhinged leftists" who booed him, as if these are the people in a Chappelle show audience lol. "Unhinged leftists" aren't dishing out hundreds/thousands of dollars to go see Chappelle, the comedian who is "anti-woke" and not to mention pretty openly transphobic. It just gives you insight into how out of touch with reality these ppl are.

I've been fascinated and disappointed by the Boring Company idea since the start. The point of it isn't to solve city traffic with another layer of underground streets for cars, or some stupid hyperloop idea, but rather to solve other problems by making tunneling cheaper. Cheap tunneling would alter the world in big ways. How much did the chunnel cost? How about one between Japan and Korea, or Europe and North Africa? How about an offshore, under the seabed fresh water pipeline between Alaska and California? Also, since it's Elon Musk ... obviously tunnels will be important for a Mars colony.

It's a very Elon Musk kind of company (except for it being a failure). He looks at industries that are doing a lousy job of solving a hard problem, he tries something dramatically different, and changes the way they all work. Digging tunnels is hard, slow, and expensive. It's a problem ripe for a new solution. Unfortunately it looks like they didn't bring any new ideas to the problem. Unlike SpaceX, Starlink, PayPal, Tesla, there isn't really any innovation there.

Best I can tell, they bought a used conventional tunneling machine, and have been playing with it trying to figure out a better solution.

El Chapo did some innovative tunneling;)

• Haha