Two Academic Dishonesty Violations

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DA1990

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys. To make a long story short I've received two academic dishonesty violations over the past two semesters at the University of Georgia. The first one was for minor plagiarism on a French oral presentation and the second one was for unauthorized assistance (using my Iphone) during my final exam of my biotechnology lab final which just ended. Neither of these classes are related to my microbio major. I accepted both the sanctions. According to UGA policy if you receive two academic dishonesty violations the student has to get a permanent dishonesty transcript notation and meet with a board that assigns either a suspension, dismissal, or expulsion. I'm praying I won't get expelled. If I do get suspended or dismissed, do I still have any shot at making it into a Caribbean medical school or a DO school. Also if I'm expelled would it possible to go to medical school in India or anywhere else like Europe/abroad. My current GPA is a 3.42 overall and 3.2 bcpm and I got a 28 on the MCAT. I am currently a senior at UGA. Thanks for the insight.

Members don't see this ad.

I'm trying to understand the distinction bw expulsion and dismissal

Hi guys. To make a long story short I've received two academic dishonesty violations over the past two semesters at the University of Georgia. The first one was for minor plagiarism on a French oral presentation and the second one was for unauthorized assistance (using my Iphone) during my final exam of my biotechnology lab final which just ended. Neither of these classes are related to my microbio major. I accepted both the sanctions. According to UGA policy if you receive two academic dishonesty violations the student has to get a permanent dishonesty transcript notation and meet with a board that assigns either a suspension, dismissal, or expulsion. I'm praying I won't get expelled. If I do get suspended or dismissed, do I still have any shot at making it into a Caribbean medical school or a DO school. Also if I'm expelled would it possible to go to medical school in India or anywhere else like Europe/abroad. My current GPA is a 3.42 overall and 3.2 bcpm and I got a 28 on the MCAT. I am currently a senior at UGA. Thanks for the insight.

Dismissal is not being able to attend UGA for 3 semesters.

Members don't see this ad :)
Dismissal is not being able to attend UGA for 3 semesters.

oh, then it's like suspension for 3 semesters. A premed shouldn't even get the thought of academic dishonesty into his/her head. Don't do it again, even if you fail something. The few extra points you cheated are not worth it. Well, the water's over the bridge...

appeal and pray for suspension or dismissal. If you're expelled, maybe no school'll take you again

I'm not going to answer your question, but point out that although you have "accepted both of the sanctions" it does not appear that you have truly learned your lesson. You were caught cheating once, and then the next semester cheated again. I should note that these were two times where you were caught -- it's very likely you cheated elsewhere and were not caught.

I worry that you have a problem. Your response to stress in your exams/courses is to cheat. You may rationalize this by saying that everyone else does it, so you need to. If so, it will continue in medical school and they will not be as forgiving, and any significant dishonesty during residency training can end your career instantly.

I would worry less about what non-US school you can get into, and more about how you plan to address this going forward.

For me this is a really weird term for dismissal.
From medical school, it has much more of a definition synonymous w/ expulsion. Maybe undergrad, or uga's undergrad is an exception on the way dismissal is interpreted?

oh, then it's like suspension for 3 semesters. A premed shouldn't even get the thought of academic dishonesty into his/her head. Don't do it again, even if you fail something. The few extra points you cheated are not worth it. Well, the water's over the bridge...

appeal and pray for suspension or dismissal. If you're expelled, maybe no school'll take you again

If I knew this, I would not let you get licensed in my state, regardless if you were actually accepted and passed medical school. People's lives could be in your hands and your prior actions are telling of your future potential misdeeds.

If I were on the interview committee for SGU, no interview.
If I were on the CSBME (GA Medical Board), no license.

But you do have a promising career as an attorney. Or on Wall Street. Or politics.

Just my 2c, what do I know?

I think you are hosed for US MD schools, with 2 times academic dishonesty on your transcript. You really need to change what you are doing. It doesn't really matter than the classes were not in your major. You have to deal with stress a different way, and not by cheating.
I don't know how Indian schools would feel about this. I doubt the better Carib schools would take you with this cheating on your transcript, but I don't know about some of the other ones...I don't know about any of them, honestly. I heard Ross took some people who got thrown out of US schools, but maybe it was more for flunking out? Versus cheating, I mean...

I think it's unlikely you would get accepted into a US school, although I expect you would get accepted into one or another of the Caribbean schools. Trying not to be judgemental and just objective, there are too many that would be happy to accept your money.

The problem, as noted by some, is getting into a residency program and later a getting state medical license. Residency positions are getting harder and harder to get. It's an awefully big crap shoot for 4 years tough years of your life.

My advice is that you apply at some US schools. I think if you graduated from a US school, in all likelihood you would get a residency spot and license. By applying to a US school, at the very least you would get an idea of how people in the establishment would react.

And like others have pointed out, you likely have a problem.

Dishonesty doesn't fly well in medicine. You might have hosed yourself.

fellow UGA student here!

i'm not sure as to what your chances would be as far as caribbean or DO, but you can always try if medicine is what you really want to do.

in your case, i might have a backup plan in mind though.

either way, i wish you luck.

No way to find out other than to try. If the big4 caribbean schools don't take you maybe the second tier ones will.

In case you guys don't realize this, US MD and DO schools are exactly similar in their requirements for admission. Just because there's a perception -whether real or not- that DO schools are "easier" to get into in terms of MCAT and/or GPA, academic red flags are seen as serious by both MD and DO schools in the US and are potentially barriers to admission to both types of schools. I can tell you that DO schools will not admit anyone with red flags on their transcript, such as repeat academic dishonesty.