Two beefs with AMCAS

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Bubblehead-to-MD

Emergency Blow!
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know all of the complaining about AMCAS can get old, BUT:

(1) Verified 7/17. EVMS still has not received my verified AMCAS Application.

(2) In an attempt to resolve (1), I was put on hold (long distance call) for 1 hour and 40 minutes - never did get through.

To quote my SDN fly girl - This is the BULL$H!TS of all BULL$H!TS!

I'm through venting.

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
danjo said:

(2) In an attempt to resolve (1), I was put on hold (long distance call) for 1 hour and 40 minutes - never did get through.

I'm through venting.

For the amount of $$$ we pay to amcas they could at least have a 1-800 help line. :rolleyes:

jillibean said:
For the amount of $$$ we pay to amcas they could at least have a 1-800 help line. :rolleyes:

I know, right? WTF AAMC?!

If it makes you feel any better, AAMC/AMCAS still hasn't received my transcript even though it was sent by my univ over a week ago. I still haven't written a PS and I have yet to take the MCAT. Don't forget that I'm applying for the class of 2011, too!

danjo said:

I'm through venting.

don't you have free national network on your cell phone like everyone else?

I'll add some gripes.

1. It took AMCAS 12 business days (excluding weekends and the 4th of July) to process my transcripts (I sent it ceritfied mail through my college so I would know when they received it)

2. My application has been ready for review since ~7/9.

3. I have called twice, been put on hold for a minimum of 30 minutes both times and talked to the same person each time (I asked for their name both times).

Conclusion: I want to find the shed AMCAS works out of, and burn it down (before of after their one employee responsible for ALL questions escapes, I have yet to decide...)

Still waiting on EVMS secondary here, too. I'm only comforted by the notion of 'applying early'. However, due to all the AMCAS delays and such, applying early might just mean applying on time this cycle. :thumbdown:

joanofarc0907 said:
don't you have free national network on your cell phone like everyone else?

I didn't say that I was actually worried about any cost associated with that long distance call. I am sure that there are others that are paying for that crap though! I was actually using my business cell phone! :thumbup: :laugh:

WilliamsF1 said:
If it makes you feel any better, AAMC/AMCAS still hasn't received my transcript even though it was sent by my univ over a week ago. I still haven't written a PS and I have yet to take the MCAT. Don't forget that I'm applying for the class of 2011, too!

lol sorry to tell u this but a week is an extremely short period of time for amcas. some people have waited up to 4 weeks..

don't worry guys, once your amcas has been complete for 15 weeks and you still have no interviews you'll see why none of this matters...

i'm totally kidding...

or is i?

Members don't see this ad :)
etf said:
don't worry guys, once your amcas has been complete for 15 weeks and you still have no interviews you'll see why none of this matters...

i'm totally kidding...

or is i?

What is the meaning of the word 'is'?

Haha I love how Lewis Black made fun of Clinton for that way back when...

and no you 'is' not kidding.

I went to a school that has narrative evaluations rather than grades. They are considered internal communication between profs and students, and it says in the college catalog and on our transcript legend that they are never sent to third parties by the registrar; only the student can request and receive them, then the student can give them to whomever they wish.

I called AMCAS in April about this, talked to a specific rep, who said she would call me back. Well, two weeks ago and still no call back, I called again, and got the same rep, who didn't remember what the heck I was talking about. She tells me that another student from my school has had his transcripts sent directly from the registrar to AMCAS. I say that's impossible.

So I call up this other student, (small school-I know him) and he says the same rep told him that she would make a note in his file that he didn't have to send in the evals directly. In years past, applicants from my school have sent the evals themselves directly to the schools, bypassing the massive delay that would ensue if AMCAS got ahold of our 50 pages of evals, then attempted to upload them and send them to the med schools.

Long story short, the registrar had a chat with AMCAS, and the provost of the school had a chat with the registrar, and I don't have to send my evals to AMCAS. Thank you JEBUS. There's nothing wrong with my evals, but I just know that my application would be in verification hell forever if they had to deal with all that paper. They just don't function well outside of their little box.

Hopefully, you guys will still be mindful of these gripes when you matricualte into med school and become a memeber of the AAMC-OSR (Organization of Student Representatives).

It is possible that such concerns would fall within there realm of influence.

IF it truly concerns you that much, then do something to alleviate it from happening in the future or if it is just a solitary concern b/c you are seemingly being singled out at the moment, then do nothing and chalk it up as part of the process.

danjo said:
I didn't say that I was actually worried about any cost associated with that long distance call. I am sure that there are others that are paying for that crap though! I was actually using my business cell phone! :thumbup: :laugh:

That is the real way to do things. :laugh: Charge it to work. Nice. :thumbup:

EDIT: This thread title reminds me of those "Where's the Beef?" commercials...remember those? :D

Are you sure the hold-up isn't at EVMS's end? I ended up calling and asking if they had recieved my primary. They said they had but had not updated their system - then I got my secondary. I'd try that route.

DrHusky said:
Conclusion: I want to find the shed AMCAS works out of, and burn it down (before of after their one employee responsible for ALL questions escapes, I have yet to decide...)

I've been in it. It's actually a pretty big building. Brick construction - would be pretty hard to burn down. :p

That said, their processing time and efficiency leave a bit to be desired, given the amount of money paid for the service. And 30 bucks to ftp your application to a school? The electricity for which costs less than a penny?

jackieMD2007 said:
EDIT: This thread title reminds me of those "Where's the Beef?" commercials...remember those? :D

It reminds me of the "Beef: It's what's for dinner" commercials :laugh:

I have issue with them too.
I had a question and I called twice and was on hold for over 40 minutes each time, and had to hang up. My long distance minutes started getting really used up. Well the third time after like an hour someone finally answers and my phone went out bc I had used all my long distance minutes!!!!! can u believe that. They are ridiculous. I finally got a calling card and called for the 4th time, very determined to talk to someone and I finally did.

danjo said:
I know, right? WTF AAMC?!

RIGHT ON!!!!

Why are they charging us to call them and wait to hear that really pathetic elevator music!
AHHHHHHHHHHH!

Good Luck....I have been "ready for review" for over two weeks :scared:

~PG

Well, if you're ever asked at an interview "what would you do to change healthcare?" you could say

"well I would take all of the money that the AAMC gets by gauging the premed students between AMCAS and MCATS etc and use it to open a completely charge-free hosptial for people who cant afford healthcare"

taylormade-

Nice....love it! :laugh:

Still awaiting the V-day (VERIFICATION).

~PG

taylormade44 said:
Well, if you're ever asked at an interview "what would you do to change healthcare?" you could say

"well I would take all of the money that the AAMC gets by gauging the premed students between AMCAS and MCATS etc and use it to open a completely charge-free hosptial for people who cant afford healthcare"