Two Bio Questions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bballjake300

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Im getting confused because in the destroyer it says that the first enzymatic activity for digestion occurs in the stomach. However, I'm pretty sure the first enzymatic activity starts in the mouth with salivary amylase.

Another question, so I know glycolysis produces 2 ATP for each glucose molecule so can I say that 1 pyruvate produces 1 ATP and 1 lactate during lactic acid fermentation?

Members don't see this ad.

Im getting confused because in the destroyer it says that the first enzymatic activity for digestion occurs in the stomach. However, I'm pretty sure the first enzymatic activity starts in the mouth with salivary amylase.

Another question, so I know glycolysis produces 2 ATP for each glucose molecule so can I say that 1 pyruvate produces 1 ATP and 1 lactate during lactic acid fermentation?
First protein digestion starts in the stomach. Amylase does not digest proteins. It digests carbohydrates.

Glycolysis produces 2 pyruvates and 2 ATP's. Then pyruvate gets converted to lactate to continue glycolysis.

Digestion starts in the mouth. A-amalase (-ase means enzyme) so carbohydrates still begin digestion in the mouth.

This question comes up a lot.

Proteins digest first in the stomach, the acids and peptidases are located in the stomach, and small intestine.

So yes. You are right, enzymatic digestion begins in the mouth.

Glycolysis actually forms 4 ATP, however 2 ATP are used in the breakdown of glucose to pyruvate. Therefore the overall net gain is 2 ATP. You should be aware of the difference. Usually you will be asked the net gain, but there is a total 4 produced, with 2 used.

Digestion starts in the mouth. A-amalase (-ase means enzyme) so carbohydrates still begin digestion in the mouth.

This question comes up a lot.

Proteins digest first in the stomach, the acids and peptidases are located in the stomach, and small intestine.

So yes. You are right, enzymatic digestion begins in the mouth.

Glycolysis actually forms 4 ATP, however 2 ATP are used in the breakdown of glucose to pyruvate. Therefore the overall net gain is 2 ATP. You should be aware of the difference. Usually you will be asked the net gain, but there is a total 4 produced, with 2 used.
Ahhh Thanks! but my main question is does lactic acid fermentation produce ATP? and if so is it 1 ATP per pyruvate?

Members don't see this ad :)
Ahhh Thanks! but my main question is does lactic acid fermentation produce ATP? and if so is it 1 ATP per pyruvate?

Yes it does produce 1 ATP per pyruvate 2 per glucose. However the main goal of lactic acid fermentation is to regenerate Nad+, the energy in lactic acid fermation comes from Nadh produced during glycolysis. The nad+ that is regenerated can now be apart of glycolysis again. If aerobic conditions are present you go to the Krebs cycle and oxidative phosphorylation

Reactions: 1 user
Yes it does produce 1 ATP per pyruvate 2 per glucose. However the main goal of lactic acid fermentation is to regenerate Nad+, the energy in lactic acid fermation comes from Nadh produced during glycolysis. The nad+ that is regenerated can now be apart of glycolysis again. If aerobic conditions are present you go to the Krebs cycle and oxidative phosphorylation

No.. If its talking specifically about lactic acid fermentation then ATP is not a product. ATP is produced because the NAD+ (products of lactic acid fermentation) go through glycolysis again. Lactic Acid Fermentation itself doesnt make atp

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

No.. If its talking specifically about lactic acid fermentation then ATP is not a product. ATP is produced because the NAD+ (products of lactic acid fermentation) go through glycolysis again. Lactic Acid Fermentation itself doesnt make atp

You stand corrected. ATP only is glycolysis. However the energy in lactic acid fermentation does come from Nadh

I have a question too about it. Where does lipid digestion start? Is it in mouth as well? I can't remember from my anatomy class last year but didn't the tongue secrete some enzyme? Thanks for clarifying

Wow thank you so much! There's just one more thing if you can clarify.. what's the differe
I have a question too about it. Where does lipid digestion start? Is it in mouth as well? I can't remember from my anatomy class last year but didn't the tongue secrete some enzyme? Thanks for clarifying
I think all enzymatic digestion first occurs in the mouth but I'm not completely sure

Wait but not protein until it gets to the stomach right? Cause pepsin is the first enzyme that cleaves peptides.

It starts in the mouth with lingual lipase. A little occurrs in the stomach, but a vast majority is in the small intestine when bile can emulsify the lipids the most.

Proteins are in the stomach I believe.

It starts in the mouth with lingual lipase. A little occurrs in the stomach, but a vast majority is in the small intestine when bile can emulsify the lipids the most.

Remember lipids are absorbed into the lymph system, and then go right into the heart!!

Proteins and carbs go to the liver, (correct me if I am wrong here)

Proteins are in the stomach I believe.

Difference in aerobic vs anerobic?

Aerobic has oxygen as the last electron acceptor in the electron transport chain. So the NADH are ozidized to NAD+ and start over. However if there is no oxygen (blood cant supply oxygen to muscles fast enough) then there becomes an over supply of NADH and not enough NAD+ so anaerobic is a way to oxidize the NADH and generate more NAD+ without oxygen. Its right after glycolysis (which is also considered anaerobic)

Aerobic has oxygen as the last electron acceptor in the electron transport chain. So the NADH are ozidized to NAD+ and start over. However if there is no oxygen (blood cant supply oxygen to muscles fast enough) then there becomes an over supply of NADH and not enough NAD+ so anaerobic is a way to oxidize the NADH and generate more NAD+ without oxygen. Its right after glycolysis (which is also considered anaerobic)

Oh I know lol, I didn't know what he was asking