RozhonDDS

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jan 2, 2006
Syracuse
Status
Dental Student
1) Which neurotransmitter is used in skeletel muscle? Is it norepinephrine?

2) What happens to NAD after it receives an electron?

3) Where does fertilization occur?

4) Where does glycolosis occur?

5) Which is the most primative Chordate? (i.e echinoderms, mammals, fish, etc)

Thanx for all the help!!!

_veo_

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
May 11, 2006
Neb
Status
Dentist
Acetylcholine
Ideally somewhere along the fallopian tubes
Cytoplasm

Correct me if I'm wrong people!

whiskeysour

up'n the competition
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Mar 3, 2006
Status
Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
1) Which neurotransmitter is used in skeletel muscle? Is it norepinephrine? i believe it is normally acetylcholine...

2) What happens to NAD after it receives an electron? carried to the electron transport system and results in ATP production

3) Where does fertilization occur? fallopian tubes

4) Where does glycolosis occur? cytoplasm

5) Which is the most primative Chordate? (i.e echinoderms, mammals, fish, etc) echinoderms are NOT Chordates. mammals and fish are advanced chordates. amphioxous is an example of a primitive chordate b/c it has a notochord not a vertebrate.

wigglytooth

Assistant Wiggle-ator
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Apr 13, 2006
Status
Resident [Any Field]
whiskeysour said:
1) Which neurotransmitter is used in skeletel muscle? Is it norepinephrine? i believe it is normally acetylcholine...

2) What happens to NAD after it receives an electron? carried to the electron transport system and results in ATP production

3) Where does fertilization occur? uterus

4) Where does glycolosis occur? cytoplasm

5) Which is the most primative Chordate? (i.e echinoderms, mammals, fish, etc) echinoderms are NOT Chordates. mammals and fish are advanced chordates. amphioxous is an example of a primitive chordate b/c it has a notochord not a vertebrate.

Agree with all except number 3... Fertilization occurs in the fallopian tubes, and then the zygote is ideally implanted in the uteral linings.

rchuloholla

Probationary Status
10+ Year Member
Jun 18, 2006
Status
Pre-Dental
woah i had the same question the dat w/ teh skeletal muscle and Acetylcholine

B

beastly115

I also have a bio question..

Nucleotide bases are linked by:

A. phosphodiester bonds
B. disulfide bonds
C. ionic bonds
D. hydrogen bonds
E. carbon bonds

The answer is D and I understand their reasoning, but I had guessed A. The question seems too ambiguous to me. They didn't ask how the nucleotide base _pairs_ are bonded, just how nucleotides are linked. I've encountered similar situations in Topscore where they are very ambiguous as to what they are looking for. The real DAT isn't this flaky, is it?

djeffreyt

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jun 4, 2006
Dallas
Status
Dentist
I've seen this question about base pairing before too, so probably better just to get it wrong on the practice and realize you need to read more carefully.

It does ask how the bases are paired, not how the nucleotides are joined together. I've also seen the other version of the question about how the backbone is joined together, so I think just be careful. I took a practice DAT for the first time yesterday and missed quite a few questions just from reading too fast.

OP
R

RozhonDDS

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jan 2, 2006
Syracuse
Status
Dental Student
beastly115 said:
I also have a bio question..

Nucleotide bases are linked by:

A. phosphodiester bonds
B. disulfide bonds
C. ionic bonds
D. hydrogen bonds
E. carbon bonds

The answer is D and I understand their reasoning, but I had guessed A. The question seems too ambiguous to me. They didn't ask how the nucleotide base _pairs_ are bonded, just how nucleotides are linked. I've encountered similar situations in Topscore where they are very ambiguous as to what they are looking for. The real DAT isn't this flaky, is it?

just about any protein is linked by hydrogen bonding, and especially when you are talking about DNA, which is nucleotides, as soon as you see nucleotides you should think hydrogen bonding, same thing for alpha helixes and beta-sheets

Clover

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Oct 25, 2005
Status
Pre-Dental
RozhonDDS said:
just about any protein is linked by hydrogen bonding, and especially when you are talking about DNA, which is nucleotides, as soon as you see nucleotides you should think hydrogen bonding, same thing for alpha helixes and beta-sheets

"nucleotides" and "nucleotide bases" are referring to different things.

B

beastly115

Clover said:
"nucleotides" and "nucleotide base pairs" are referring to different things.

i think it would be wiser to understand that concept and read the question carefully rather than memorize general blanket statements.
The question said "nucleotides" (not "nucleotide base pairs") which is what lead me to not choose hydrogen bonding.

Clover

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Oct 25, 2005
Status
Pre-Dental
beastly115 said:
The question said "nucleotides" (not "nucleotide base pairs") which is what lead me to not choose hydrogen bonding.
sorry i meant to say nucleotide bases, i just changed it in my original post

the question you posted was:
"Nucleotide bases are linked by:"

- bases are linked to complementary bases by hydrogen bonding

- nucleotides are linked to nucleotides by phosphodiester bonds

the inclusion of the word bases in the question means the purine to pyrimidine (or vice versa) bond

i hope this has helped =/

cryptozoologist

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
May 27, 2006
Status
Dental Student
RozhonDDS said:
ACETYLCHOLINE
2) What happens to NAD after it receives an electron?
MOVES THROUGH ELECTRON CHAIN IN THE MITOCHONDRIAL INNER MEMBRANE (NADH generates 3 ATP, FADH2 generates 2), except remember that some NADH is made in cytoplasm during Glycolysis so the actual yield is 2.5 and 1.5 respectively...as some energy is required to transport NADH and FADH2 into the inner membrane.
Fallopian tubes
cytoplasm of cell
5) Which is the most primative Chordate? (i.e echinoderms, mammals, fish, etc) most primitive chordate group is a fish called amphioxis of phylum cephalochordata...lancelets may be the name your familiar with. between lancelets and echinodermata are the acorn worms: hemichordata phylum. Echinoderms are a sister taxa (along with hemichordata) to chordates.