Two gen chem questions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Bigbirdo

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
1. In 3d orbitals, can you have different spins at different orbitals before you paired them up? See the picture attached, you will see what i mean.
2. Why is activation energy independent of temperature while you can arrange the arrehenius equation to make them on different side of the equation?

Members don't see this ad.

Attachments

• 20130708232954.jpg
    20130708232954.jpg
    15.2 KB · Views: 23
1. In 3d orbitals, can you have different spins at different orbitals before you paired them up? See the picture attached, you will see what i mean.
2. Why is activation energy independent of temperature while you can arrange the arrehenius equation to make them on different side of the equation?

For 1, if I remember correctly, this can be applied to Hund's rule in which we have to fill up the orbitals as far as possible and line up their spins.
It's impossible put one up and one down because the 2nd orbital spin depends on the 1st. So if the first is +1/2 then the 2nd one must be +1/2 as well.

2. I don't think you're wrong in that aspect, because an increase in temperature would increase the general kinetic collisions of the molecule=faster rate.Looking at at Reaction Coordinate, we would see the starting materials higher up closer to the Activated complex. . So this mean temperature doesn't necessarily "lower" Ea, it just makes it so that a higher percentage of molecules have enough energy to get over the Ea. Also this refers to the Boltzmann diagram.