two interview days, one suit, one trip

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

QuantumMechanic

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
dumb question, but I thought I'd throw it out there: Two days of interviews yet only one suit...should I wear the suit twice? Or should I wear the same jacket on the second day with a nice pair of pants (they are a conservative green color) that seems to go well enough with the dark blue suit?

Members don't see this ad.

no one cares that you're wearing the same suit twice

Members don't see this ad :)
I had to do this once... the problem was not the pants, but the jacket (or more specifically, the armpits of the jacket :oops: )

My advice:
1) bring along two shirts
2) be sure you wear an undershirt both days that has sleeves (i.e. not a "wife beater")
3) wear lots of deodorant
4) think about "spot washing" the armpits of the jacket right after the first interview and then blowing them dry with a hairdryer set on low.

Now it's possible that I'm just a particularly gross human being, and that you won't have these problems. But since I'm a chick and (I think) you're a guy... well... :p

I think I went on about 3 or 4 interviews with the same suit without washing it because it's dry clean only. I washed the shirt I wore underneath, though. Nobody will know you're wearing the same suit. Just be careful not to spill anything. Maybe bring along some travel detergent so just in case you can always do a quick spot wash in the hotel sink.

you can always steam out the suit (run the shower in the hotel bathroom and close the door for a bit) to get the winkles out. I had to do this when I was careless packing my suit for an interview last month.

I had to do this once... the problem was not the pants, but the jacket (or more specifically, the armpits of the jacket :oops: )

My advice:
1) bring along two shirts
2) be sure you wear an undershirt both days that has sleeves (i.e. not a "wife beater")
3) wear lots of deodorant
4) think about "spot washing" the armpits of the jacket right after the first interview and then blowing them dry with a hairdryer set on low.

Now it's possible that I'm just a particularly gross human being, and that you won't have these problems. But since I'm a chick and (I think) you're a guy... well... :p

:barf::barf::barf::barf::barf::barf::barf::barf::barf:

goodluck.

(is that one word or two)

And goodnight for that matter too.

Aw, c'mon, wannaGET. The cold, hard truth is that chicks sweat, too (especially when they're nervous as h*ll). It's just that we have lots of nice smelling soapy things to cover it up. :laugh:

And anyway, I got into both of those schools, so I obviously did a decent job of getting rid of my little "problem"... :D

Aw, c'mon, wannaGET. The cold, hard truth is that chicks sweat, too (especially when they're nervous as h*ll). It's just that we have lots of nice smelling soapy things to cover it up. :laugh:

And anyway, I got into both of those schools, so I obviously did a decent job of getting rid of my little "problem"... :D

You are either married or over 27 yrs old.......

Members don't see this ad :)
Wow.....can i call them or what...:sleep:

I'm just thankful that I'm no longer expected to be appear perfectly coiffed, manicured, dressed and poised in an effort to impress a pack of hard-drinking, STD packing, baseball cap-wearing meat-heads. :sleep:

I'm just thankful that I'm no longer expected to be appear perfectly coiffed, manicured, dressed and poised in an effort to impress a pack of hard-drinking, STD packing, baseball cap-wearing meat-heads. :sleep:

But i would assume that you are still expected to use correct grammar.:sleep:

Come on, one more time just for old times' sakes.
-Dr. P.

Relax. I was just messing with you grandma.:D

^ ^ ^ and as for you, wannaGET, both Grandma and ol' Dr. P. here could teach you a 'lil somethin' somethin' that those silly little co-eds sure can't... :smuggrin: :smuggrin: :smuggrin:

^ ^ ^ and as for you, wannaGET, both Grandma and ol' Dr. P. here could teach you a 'lil somethin' somethin' that those silly little co-eds sure can't... :smuggrin: :smuggrin: :smuggrin:

Wow, that wannaGET guy sounds like Denmark Dr.

Anyways OP, if you're going to keep your jacket on, it doesn't matter if you wear the same dress suit. Just as long as you remember to get it dry cleaned afterwards.

good luck!

Just wear the same suit. I've gone on 8 interviews so far (usually 2-day affairs with multiple MD/PhD interviews) using the same 2-piece suit without washing, and it looks/feels/smells as good as fresh from the laundromat. If you are decently careful about not getting anything spilled or soiled, then you should be fine. The burden of body odor, sweat, and grime falls on your underwear and dress shirt.

Wearing the same suit is fine :) (Noone will know )

I would just recommend taking two shirts...maybe 2 ties. :luck:

Please, please tell me that you people do not dry clean your suit EVERY time you wear it. You should only dry clean a suit once a season. Dry cleaning is like murder for a suit.

QM, just bring two shirts, two ties in case you spill something, and definitely two under shirts. The under shirts and lots of anti-perspirant are key.

i am interviewing two days in a row (1/10, 1/11) and plan on wearing the same suit.
don't see anything wrong with it.

it doesn't seem to me like wearing the same suit two days in a row will affect one's chances.

Please, please tell me that you people do not dry clean your suit EVERY time you wear it. You should only dry clean a suit once a season. Dry cleaning is like murder for a suit.

QM, just bring two shirts, two ties in case you spill something, and definitely two under shirts. The under shirts and lots of anti-perspirant are key.

Agreed. Additionally, the OP should be warned that one should not wear a suit jacket separate from the pants. The whole suit needs to stay together otherwise your jacket and pants will show wear differently over time. If you want a jacket to mix and match with different slacks, buy a blazer or comething.

dumb question, but I thought I'd throw it out there: Two days of interviews yet only one suit...should I wear the suit twice? Or should I wear the same jacket on the second day with a nice pair of pants (they are a conservative green color) that seems to go well enough with the dark blue suit?

you really shouldn't be frequently getting your suit dry cleaned as you'll wear it out before it's time (especially if it's a lower end suit from men's wearhouse - not saying yours is, but that seems to be a favorite store around sdn). you should only have a suit cleaned when it is actually dirty and needs to be cleaned, not just wrinkled.

if you're wearing it two days in a row, you might consider finding a dry cleaner that can just press it for you. (although, this isn't a good idea if you DO get it dirty because you don't want to press dirt into the suit).

not sure about the whole sweating thing that people are talking about...i'm a guy and have never in my life sweat through a suit...that's pretty intense. if you manage to actually sweat through a suit, though, you probably would need a second suit since that smell would probably be pretty fierce the following day.

and, as another poster mentioned, definitely don't use a suit coat as a sport coat with other pants because eventually the suit coat won't match the suit pants as they wear differently.

Febreeze, works wonders!

I had back to back interviews, wore the entire same outfit (except for the boxers and socks of course) twice. I'd echo the same sentiments about trying to stay as clean and hygenic as possible.

Although for me it didn't make a difference, since both were in sweltering Texas heat and I sweated like a machine into my suit. But I got into both so I suppose I sweat out strawberrys and fresh lilacs or soemthing...

I interviewed back to back with the same suit and it was fine. Just try to take off the jacket when ever you can on the first interview so it doesn't get wrinkled form sitting on it. Also, as soon as you get done make sure to change and hang up the suit.

I am pleased to inform the SDN forum community that right now I am sitting in the HMS library for the 2nd day in a row wearing the same suit, and nothing bad has come of it.

Time for some free lunch c/o secondary fees!

you really shouldn't be frequently getting your suit dry cleaned as you'll wear it out before it's time (especially if it's a lower end suit from men's wearhouse - not saying yours is, but that seems to be a favorite store around sdn). you should only have a suit cleaned when it is actually dirty and needs to be cleaned, not just wrinkled.
Ironically enough, if you did happen to get your suit at Men's Wearhouse, if you're in a city that has one, you can take your suit in and they'll press it for you for free while you wait. That can be a lifesaver when you travel.

as long as you dont have massive BO issues and you dont dirty up your suit after 1 wear, you should be fine.

no one cares

not trying to come off harsh or anything. your energies would serve you much better if you tried to work on getting a beer and relaxing!!! chill! :)

Hah- I wore the same suit to interview at KU and Nebraska. KU was my first interview and of course, first thing in the morning I spilled water all over myself. Interviewers must not have cared though.

I cleaned it at the hotel and wore it again two days later at Nebraska.

Ironically enough, if you did happen to get your suit at Men's Wearhouse, if you're in a city that has one, you can take your suit in and they'll press it for you for free while you wait. That can be a lifesaver when you travel.

haha, very true! that is a pretty sweet deal.

hotels can also be a good source for pressing since they'll just put it on your room charge - just be careful about timing...most hotels don't do it on premises, and you don't want your suit across town when you need to leave for your interview.

Agreed. Additionally, the OP should be warned that one should not wear a suit jacket separate from the pants. The whole suit needs to stay together otherwise your jacket and pants will show wear differently over time. If you want a jacket to mix and match with different slacks, buy a blazer or comething.
Good points about not wearing them separately. Also NEVER dry clean them separately because dry cleaning wears them fast, so they'll look different. So even if you get a stain on your pants, dry clean the jacket too.

i've never dry cleaned anything (i know... eww... smelly). but how exactly does dry cleaning ruin the suit/jackets/etc.? i thought dry cleaning was supposed to be a safe/clean procedure?

i've never dry cleaned anything (i know... eww... smelly). but how exactly does dry cleaning ruin the suit/jackets/etc.? i thought dry cleaning was supposed to be a safe/clean procedure?

well, washing a suit even once will pretty much trash it. so you can't wash a suit the way you wash a pair of jeans or a shirt.

dry cleaning is just a different method of cleaning...the chemicals and the process are hard on the fabric. it's not like occasional dry cleaning is going to ruin a suit, but if you were wearing it frequently and dry cleaning after each wear (say, once a week), the suit would wear out relatively quickly.