Two LORs in one?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Wipeout416

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I asked my lab TA for a LOR and the prof to cosign it as some have mentioned happening before. However, the prof offered to write a supplemental letter... should I package these together as one? Only use one or the other? How should I go about doing this?

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Why on earth are you using a TA as a LOR writer? That's a horrible idea, no one is going to give that letter any weight whatsoever. If the professor is willing to write you a letter then you should throw away that TA letter and just have him write you a real LOR.

Members don't see this ad :)
Not strapped for letters..

The TA knows me very well and is a doctoral candidate. And as per another thread on this subject that type of letter cosigned by a prof is generally ok, but it seems(meeting with him soon) that this prof's letter would be supplementary. Was wondering if I could combine the two into "one letter" submission or something?

I did something kinda similar. I had my research advisor (post-doc with whom I did all of my undergrad research) and the PI of the lab (with whom I took a class and TA'd for) write a combined letter for me since their experiences/interactions with me were very different. However, I can't say anything regarding how the letter is affecting my application season considering that I'm currently applying. All I can tell you is that I have one interview so far and some rejections.

One professor teaches Advanced Biochemistry I and the other one teaches Advanced Biochemistry II.