Two Masters

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

babycheeks

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I graduated with a BS/MS in Human Services. My goal was to get a BS in Human Services and a MS in Occupational Therapy which is a acceptable route. My program came as a dual BS/MS in Human Services it didn't take any more time to finish it or cost anymore so I went ahead and did it although I regret it and wish I only got the BS. I got into Bay Path College for the MOT program for August and not sure if I should continue and go do a second masters or try for a entry level doctoral. The problem is there are not a lot of entry level doctoral programs available and it takes a lot longer! What to do..

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Why do you regret having a masters? That seems like a weird thing to regret having.

Also, what are your reasons for wanting to get the doctorate degree. I am probably wrong, but it sounds like you don't want to get the masters degree simply because you don't want to masters degrees (and think that it would be better to get the doctorate just because of how it will look). If thats the only reason you want to get the doctorate, then I say get the masters. It is only worth the extra time and money (and wasted time you will spend on an extra application cycle) if you want the doctorate for something that you need the doctorate for (like if you want to do research or teach).

I just want to clarify that an OTD does NOT allow you to become a principal researcher. You can participate in research with both a MOT or OTD but if you want to get into research heavily, you should go for a PhD. I am not sure why there is such a huge misunderstanding of that fact on this forum.

As for your question, I think you should do some research into the MOT vs. the OTD and really think about what you are wanting out of your career. If you want to be an OT practitioner until the day you retire, then going to Bay Path this year is a great option. I suggest making sure that your reasons for an OTD are strong because you will have to wait another year before starting school, it will be more money, and you will have an extra year of study. Good luck with your decision! :D

Members don't see this ad :)
Well I think I will do Bay Path College I got in and I'm ready to go. An extra year sounds a little much for me right now. I regret the MS in Human Services because I had to do a thesis on that part of the program when I only wanted the BS to get into a MOT but it was a dual degree I guess I can't complain. Thanks! :)

Last edited:
Thanks for updating us on your decision! I think you made the best decision for you. :) Good luck and congratulations!