Two Minutes with Department Chair During Interview- What do I say?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AmysApp

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm interviewing somewhere next week that apparently gives each of it's candidates a "suggested but optional" opportunity to mean with the department chair. This will be my first in person interview, so I'm a little nervous. What should I say? I don't want to waste her time with dumb questions (especially since I'll have just gone on a tour right beforehand) or my general "tell me about yourself" answer. Any input would be appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

I'm interviewing somewhere next week that apparently gives each of it's candidates a "suggested but optional" opportunity to mean with the department chair. This will be my first in person interview, so I'm a little nervous. What should I say? I don't want to waste her time with dumb questions (especially since I'll have just gone on a tour right beforehand) or my general "tell me about yourself" answer. Any input would be appreciated!
First off, congratulations on your interview!! I too had my very first interview with the department chair (didn't know until I showed up that that's who my interviewer was), and it went really well because I had done a lot of research on the school and on several of the faculty members. I would suggest researching your school and the Dept Chair very well, so that you can ask questions about his/her specific research, what makes them most proud of their program, or even something like, "What habit or behavior has most improved your life since beginning your PT career path?" I think this sort of question can yield helpful and thought-provoking advice, and who better to ask than a wise and successful Dept Chair?

I hope this helps! Good luck to you!!

Reactions: 3 users
First off, congratulations on your interview!! I too had my very first interview with the department chair (didn't know until I showed up that that's who my interviewer was), and it went really well because I had done a lot of research on the school and on several of the faculty members. I would suggest researching your school and the Dept Chair very well, so that you can ask questions about his/her specific research, what makes them most proud of their program, or even something like, "What habit or behavior has most improved your life since beginning your PT career path?" I think this sort of question can yield helpful and thought-provoking advice, and who better to ask than a wise and successful Dept Chair?

I hope this helps! Good luck to you!!

Thank you so much for your advice. That was very helpful!

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
The first interview is always the most nerve wracking, but you'll get through it. Just be yourself and g

Congrats on the interview!

@Elauz's advice is sound, but some other questions you could ask the department chair are: "How has this program changed since its commencement or since your arrival to this program?"; What are some things that you wish you knew prior to entering this field or position?"; "What do students typically do well in this program?"

I asked a variation of these questions in my interviews and have found success in them because they demonstrated my interest in the program and the PT field as a whole.

Best wishes!

Reactions: 3 users
The first interview is always the most nerve wracking, but you'll get through it. Just be yourself and g

Congrats on the interview!

@Elauz's advice is sound, but some other questions you could ask the department chair are: "How has this program changed since its commencement or since your arrival to this program?"; What are some things that you wish you knew prior to entering this field or position?"; "What do students typically do well in this program?"

I asked a variation of these questions in my interviews and have found success in them because they demonstrated my interest in the program and the PT field as a whole.

Best wishes!

Great, thank you for sharing!