two months off for interviews?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kdburton

Ulnar Deviant
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
my school gives us the option to take off 3 months during 4th year - it seems like most people use this time to study for Step 2 and for interviewing. I was planning on just taking one month off for interviews, but was just told by an upperclassman that I should plan on taking 2 months... Is it common for ppl to take 2 months off for this? I'm hoping I don't have to take more than just the one and then schedule a elective that would let me take a couple days off here and there.

Members don't see this ad.

my school gives us the option to take off 3 months during 4th year - it seems like most people use this time to study for Step 2 and for interviewing. I was planning on just taking one month off for interviews, but was just told by an upperclassman that I should plan on taking 2 months... Is it common for ppl to take 2 months off for this? I'm hoping I don't have to take more than just the one and then schedule a elective that would let me take a couple days off here and there.

My school is the same way. I took november and december off for interviews, and I don't regret that one bit. I also took september off to take Step II/go to the beach. I do regret that one, as I used all of one week for the exam and now I have to show up at the hospital every day until the LAST DAY... I should have taken the day off for Step II and taken the last month of the year off. Oh well!

97 views with only one reply? Can anyone else weigh in - particularly those who only took off a month for interviews and got by just fine?

To the previous poster: Thanks for the reply. How many interviews did you go on and how far away in general were you traveling for them?

Members don't see this ad :)
I took September off to study for Step 2. Then I took December off for interviews. And I have April off for vacation.

I am going into pediatrics, and interviewed in the southeast. Most of the programs offered interviews Nov, Dec and Jan. I ended up interviewing at 10 programs, 2 in Nov and 8 in Dec. It is kinda tricky on what month to take off. You lose a week of interview time in December because of the Holidays. I took ER in January, shift work so I could schedule more interviews if I needed too (I did, but I ended up canceling them). I was exhausted by the end of December.

I think if you are planning on interviewing with no more than 15-20 programs you could take off Nov, Dec, or Jan and whatever month you didn't take off take an easier elective that allows for time off, for example ER.

And I am sooooo glad I am taking April off! :cool: I am jealous of the people that are taking March and April off. I already have bad senioritis, I couldn't imagine sticking around until the very end. :p

So I was interviewing for Gsurg, I did 14 interviews, first one was last week of october, last one was mid january, but the bulk were nov-dec. There were 4 flights, and a few 6-10 hour drives. Some were closer. 11 of them were in the november-december months, and my thinking was that if I were going to go to the pre-interview dinners that was 22 days of interviewing those 2 months. All were on weekdays. So, even if they were evenly split, that's 11 weekdays out of 20 both months that I'd have been out of town. I didn't feel right scheduling rotations those months knowing I'd be absent for over 50% of the workdays. I'd be willing to bet you can find an elective where it's feasible, and you might be able to do a better job than I did of scheduling interviews close together, but in the end the way my schedule worked out I felt that I had to take both months off. It also made for a much less stressful time as I wasn't having to schedule travel around clinics all the time.

All the luck in your interviews!

My school gives us a 7 week block for interviews. Take the time- you will need it! Listen to the upperclassmen! Also, take the remainder of your core & elective rotations early in the year if you can. I have rotations all the way till May and most of my classmates are done already! :(

Sorry this is so ridiculously long, but here goes:

I took off all of December and the first half of January, and did a light rotation in November. Worked well for me. In hindsight, I probably could have gotten away with another light rotation for the first half of January. If I'd absolutely had to, I could have managed doing no interviews in November OR no interviews in January, but not both (and it would have been insane travel). Wound up going on 12 altogether.

So much of this depends on your school, how many interviews you need to do for whatever specialty you're applying in, and how spread out your geographical area of interviewing is. My school gives us a fair bit of vacation time, so they really frown on taking more than one or at most two days off during an elective. Your school may be more forgiving.

Think about the nuts and bolts of how scheduling interviews works. Realistically, I don't think you can plan on being able to do more than 3 interviews per week, especially if you want to be able to go to the pre-interview dinners. Sure, there is the occasional opportunity when the stars align such that you theoretically could schedule more than that in a week, but I don't think you can count on it happening (and it would be exhausting). And you might be limited to one or two per week just based on the way programs' schedules collide. If you take December off, which was the month with the highest interview density for most of the people I know, you've got the holiday week to consider, so let's say you could theoretically fit in 10. In my experience, a lot of the programs I was invited to interviewed on the same days, which made things harder, so I wound up having to space things out a little more. If you want to not have to do crazy things like fly from one coast to the other and back again and then back to the Midwest during the same week, that would also impair your ability to maximize interview density. So, realistically, call it 8-9 interviews in December. Schedule one or two during your hopefully light rotations in November and January, and that brings you up to, oh, let's call it 12. :)

12 interviews may be a perfectly acceptable number for some specialties and some applicants, but it's on the low end for others. Also, all that is based on my own experience -- different specialties handle interviews very differently. For example, some of my friends who were applying in surgical fields had some interviews on weekend days. That did not happen in my specialty. Some small programs only interview on one or two days in the whole season, which reduces flexibility in scheduling. Some specialties start interviewing later, and some earlier. Also, if you're willing to give up pre-interview dinners, you've got more flexibility. I wouldn't recommend it unless you're absolutely stuck, though.

Anyway, that's probably enough out of me. Long story short: I'd advise taking more than 4 weeks off if possible.

Also, if you're willing to give up pre-interview dinners, you've got more flexibility. I wouldn't recommend it unless you're absolutely stuck, though.

As Cap'n Jack said, don't skip the pre-interview dinners. It's your single best chance to find out about the nuts and bolts of the program, and to get an impression of how happy the residents are. Mucho important night.