How Two-part (Split) Rotations are Graded?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SadMad

Reaction score
Hi All,

Does anybody have any experience or idea how split rotations (two-part rotations such as out-patient and in-hospital) are graded? What happens if you score very high on first two weeks and fail the other two weeks (Having issues with resident)? Is it average of both and you pass or you have to repeat the part that you fail? There is nothing specific to this in the student manual. Appreciate any input.

Members don't see this ad.

Ask the clerkship director. No one here will know. This is very specific to the school and rotation.

The problem is they cannot show me any rules on that and nobody is willing to help. Clerkship director put pass on my grade and confirmed with an email but after the intervention of assistant dean (I know the assistant dean contacted the clerkship director) she is now telling me that I need to repeat the two weeks of the part that I failed and she has made a mistake. She has been in that position for a long time. It cannot be explained as a simple mistake. I specifically asked if I passed the course and she said "You passed the course" in her email. It still shows "pass" on the system for this rotation.

Members don't see this ad :)
The problem is they cannot show me any rules on that and nobody is willing to help. Clerkship director put pass on my grade and confirmed with an email but after the intervention of assistant dean (I know the assistant dean contacted the clerkship director) she is now telling me that I need to repeat the two weeks of the part that I failed and she has made a mistake. She has been in that position for a long time. It cannot be explained as a simple mistake. I specifically asked if I passed the course and she said "You passed the course" in her email. It still shows "pass" on the system for this rotation.

Yeah, unfortunately no one here will be able to answer that question. It will be specific to your institution. Sorry you’re going through that. Is there an office of student affairs you can contact?

Sorry you're going through this but sounds like a mistake was made with reporting initially and you need to repeat things. You should contact the Student Affairs office and ask to appeal the decision on the grounds that no established policy is in the clerkship syllabus or per you, the "student manual" which did not give you a clear picture of how the rotation was graded. Perhaps with negotation you can have the fail removed from the transcript or something like that. This will highly depend on your school.

Last edited: