Two questions, metachromatic v krabbe and sclerosing cholangitis

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Qester

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Two questions,

1) How can you tell the difference between Krabbe and metachromatic leukodystophy clinically??
2) Does primary sclerosing cholangitis present with knee pain? If so what is the pathophys behind this?

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

1. They have buildup of different precursors. MLD is sulfatides and Krabbe is galactocerbrosides. Unless u meant symptoms-wise, I dont have that memorized
2. I've never heard of knee pain in regards to PSC

PSC is associated with UC and UC is associated with IBD arthropathy.

Reactions: 1 user
1. They have buildup of different precursors. MLD is sulfatides and Krabbe is galactocerbrosides. Unless u meant symptoms-wise, I dont have that memorized
2. I've never heard of knee pain in regards to PSC

Yeah i was wondering more around symptom wise. Does one present with more peripheral neural symptoms as exposed to neural? Age of onset? Those kind of things

PSC is associated with UC and UC is associated with IBD arthropathy.

Perfect, that's the connection I had made, however I had an answer explanation stating that the pt had UC, which is associated with both PSC, and knee pain. Then it went on to describe PSC and stated that the PSC was presenting with itching, jaundice and knee pain. The explanation alluded to the fact that PSC itself could cause knee pain, which didn't make sense to me.