Two Semesters of Orgo In One Semester

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted316655

Hey Everyone!

So at my school, if you're an engineering major, which I am, you take only one semester of Orgo. In that one semester you go over the amount of information that would normally be divided into two semesters, but the information is just super condensed and fast-paced. The class is four credits and I would be taking just one lab that is worth two credits. So I am learning all of the material, it's just not in the usual way. Do you think that would be okay, or should I see what else I can do?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Hey Everyone!

So at my school, if you're an engineering major, which I am, you take only one semester of Orgo. In that one semester you go over the amount of information that would normally be divided into two semesters, but the information is just super condensed and fast-paced. The class is four credits and I would be taking just one lab that is worth two credits. So I am learning all of the material, it's just not in the usual way. Do you think that would be okay, or should I see what else I can do?

Thanks!

Doable, but obviously not recommended if you can avoid it. How have other students fared before you? Definitely check into other possibilities, though.

Obviously others have gotten through it and I'm sure you will too. This is one of the problems with being in a difficult major, engineering, and trying to get into something that is heavily based on GPA (medical school). I'm sure the ADCOMs will give you some slack for being an engineering major but probably not as much as you deserve for having to do crazy **** like this.

Survivor DO

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey Everyone!

Thanks!

I started out as an engineering major (switched out later), I took a gen chem class that was "2 years in 1", I had to take Quantitative Analysis to get the second semester of "inorganic chem". I wanted to play it safe, and I know that in order to get my committee letter I needed to take the two semesters. I think it would be best to ask your school and the individual med schools with that requirement.

I honestly don't know anyone at my school who's done Chemical Engineering and went on to med school. Usually if people are going to do engineering they do biomed. I think in terms of committee letters I should be okay. It's a technology school so I'm sure they're used to situations like this. I guess I can talk to my adviser and see what she says.