Two year gap, Grad School vs. Research

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Jermsss

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello guys,

I am graduating this Spring with a BS in Biology. I will have to take a two year gap between undergrad and med school due to family issues. I was wondering what would be the best thing to do for the time being. I was considering getting my masters, but my undergrad GPA isn't EXTREMELY bad, and I would rather not spend the extra money unless I absolutely have to. If I decide not to do grad school, I was planning on working as a lab tech and EMT for the two years. Here are my stats:

Undergrad cGPA=3.71
sGPA=3.7
MCAT= taking this summer

Lab experience= none
Clinical experience= 500hrs geriatric dept. volunteer at NY Presbyterian/Weill Cornell Hospital
500hrs emergency dept. volunteer at Long Beach Medical Center
300hrs emergency dept. volunteer at South Nassau Communities Hospital
Shadowing= 1000+hrs (ED physician, Infectious Disease/Internal Medicine physician, General Surgeon)
Along with several hundred hours of volunteer work with several different organizations (shelters, relief funds, breast cancer, food banks, red cross)
I am also a physics and organic chemistry tutor

Any advice would be much appreciated! Thank you

Members don't see this ad.

I would save the money, get a job you enjoy, save loads of money, travel a bit, and do research and a bunch more shadowing in different specialties. Stay involved on service/volunteering. Definitely not worth the money on a master's in my opinion (considering your gpa and assuming you'll do well in the MCAT). Good luck!

Thanks a lot for your input, I really appreciate it. Would taking more than 1 gap year affect my application at all? I guess that's my main concern. I only recently found out that I would have to take a second year off and I don't want it to offset my chances

Members don't see this ad :)
Totes, I agree. I am taking a 2 year gap and am applying this cycle (so I am done year 1 of my gap) and it has been an awesome experience. I think in general it is looked upon favorably by adcoms so long as you did something constructive during that time. I can personally say that I have matured and grown more than I ever expected during this time. I know that I will be a significantly stronger applicant when I apply this cycle than if I had applied last cycle due to having more stuff on my resume and simply growing up some. I definitely do not think that 1 vs 2 years will affect anything at all. Again the key is to stay as hard working as if you were in school - work hard, keep volunteering, get some shadowing experience. I think if it is obvious that you are still working on yourself then it can make you a really stellar applicant.

Also it is very nice because it allows you to take all the time that you need to get your application in perfect order. I tried to apply last year and it was a mess throwing everything together haphazardly. This year I have been working on my application for the past several months and everything will be in and complete within the first week of the cycle starting... that is a great feeling.

Gap years are fantastic and it sucks that mine is coming to an end (fortunately tho). You don't have any lab experience so I would def get in on some research and hopefully get paid. I did a one year gap and don't see how taking another year would kill off any chances at any schools, as long as I would stay on research. Two years would be great to get your application fixed and polished! Overall have fun and relax!