TX reapplicant

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kdismyhomeboy

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I could use some advice. Should I reapply this coming cycle?

I applied this past cycle to TMDSAS (3rd time) and a handful of AMCAS (1st time) low/mid-tier schools, from which I had only one interview (TCOM) and am currently on the waitlist for. There is still the possibility of being accepted through the waitlist, but it isn't anything to bank on.

I applied pretty late in the cycle as my primary was sent in for both in the beginning of September, which really hurt my chances a lot. Same story for previous cycles. I know that being a reapplicant, adcoms will want to see improvements on the application.

I have been working full-time in a small research lab for the last 1.5 years and hopefully will have a publication in the coming months.

As for my stats, I'd say they are modest to average (though ECs are a little lacking) for those accepted in Texas schools (which is where I would prefer to attend):
cGPa: 3.6, sGPA: 3.5
MCAT (2007): 30
ECs: 100+ hrs hospital volunteering, 5-week Summer Cultural Exchange Program in China, Basic Research (post-grad), Medical Missions Trip to Laredo

I am mulling my options right now. I was thinking of re-taking the MCAT in May/June and applying very early in the upcoming cycle. MCAT scores for TMDSAS schools are valid for 5 years, whereas with AMCAS it is 2-4 years depending on the school. Or maybe doing a SMP, though my GPA isn't much of an issue imo. Are there any areas in particular I should be actively focusing on like shadowing a physician or volunteering at a clinic instead?

Any helpful insights/suggestions would be much appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

I could use some advice. Should I reapply this coming cycle?

I applied this past cycle to TMDSAS (3rd time) and a handful of AMCAS (1st time) low/mid-tier schools, from which I had only one interview (TCOM) and am currently on the waitlist for. There is still the possibility of being accepted through the waitlist, but it isn't anything to bank on.

I applied pretty late in the cycle as my primary was sent in for both in the beginning of September, which really hurt my chances a lot. Same story for previous cycles. I know that being a reapplicant, adcoms will want to see improvements on the application.

I have been working full-time in a small research lab for the last 1.5 years and hopefully will have a publication in the coming months.

As for my stats, I'd say they are modest to average (though ECs are a little lacking) for those accepted in Texas schools (which is where I would prefer to attend):
cGPa: 3.6, sGPA: 3.5
MCAT (2007): 30
ECs: 100+ hrs hospital volunteering, 5-week Summer Cultural Exchange Program in China, Basic Research (post-grad), Medical Missions Trip to Laredo

I am mulling my options right now. I was thinking of re-taking the MCAT in May/June and applying very early in the upcoming cycle. MCAT scores for TMDSAS schools are valid for 5 years, whereas with AMCAS it is 2-4 years depending on the school. Or maybe doing a SMP, though my GPA isn't much of an issue imo. Are there any areas in particular I should be actively focusing on like shadowing a physician or volunteering at a clinic instead?

Any helpful insights/suggestions would be much appreciated.

Your whole package seems pretty good! Why did you apply so late, especially here in TX???? Since it was your 3rd cycle, I'm sure you knew what negative consequences submitting late could have. :)

I have heard many people recommending UNTHSC's Medical Master's program. Maybe that could be an option?

Good luck! Hope you get off of the waitlist!!

I thought I would be able to reuse one of my LORs from before, but the HPO said that I needed a new one, so that caused a significant delay, and I didn't realize that I could have submitted while waiting for it.

I was contemplating the MedSci program at UNTHSC, but after reading through the threads on SMPs, I'm not sure it would be the biggest boost for my app, since my GPA isn't too bad. It does seem like a good program regardless, and would prepare me well for 1st year.

In any case, if I do get in off the waitlist, then great! Thanks for the well wishes!

Your whole package seems pretty good! Why did you apply so late, especially here in TX???? Since it was your 3rd cycle, I'm sure you knew what negative consequences submitting late could have. :)

I have heard many people recommending UNTHSC's Medical Master's program. Maybe that could be an option?

Good luck! Hope you get off of the waitlist!!