Tx Resident looking to make a small OOS friendly list

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

miss chievous

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm trying to make a "safety" list. I want to apply to no more than 5 schools out of state. I went through the MSAR and narrowed it down to these few. Please take out any schools that I have a low chance in, and add any schools that you think may be Texas friendly. Thank you :)

Stats: 32 MCAT (12/10/10) and probably around a 3.66 AMCAS cGPA and sGPA.

Einstein
Rosalind franklin
Creighton
Drexel
GWU
Indiana university
St. louis

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I'm trying to make a "safety" list. I want to apply to no more than 5 schools out of state. I went through the MSAR and narrowed it down to these few. Please take out any schools that I have a low chance in, and add any schools that you think may be Texas friendly. Thank you :)

Einstein
Rosalind franklin
Creighton
Drexel
GWU
Indiana university
St. louis

I would add NYMC and Rush or Quinnipac and remove GWU, Drexel, and IU.

Members don't see this ad :)

Einstein
Rosalind franklin
Creighton
Drexel
GWU
Indiana university
St. louis

What's your objective? Is it just to make sure you get in somewhere? If so, I'd suggest your safeties be DO and that you play up the Osteopathic mindset for all it's worth. Why the holistic and human-centered approach is so wonderful, why you want primary care, how shadowing a DO opened your eyes... (Shadow one quick!) How DO calls to you viscerally even more than MD..

Again - This is your safety net.

The only time it will come into play is if something is otherwise wrong with your app. If nothing's wrong otherwise, and you interview reasonably well, your numbers are amply good enough for most (all) Texas schools. There's some randomness in the process - but with 8 MD schools and decent numbers, you can afford a few random "just didn't fit here" misses. If it's not a random thing -- i.e. if the problem is you, your safeties need to be below the 'TX pack' --

What are the circumstances under which UTMB wouldn't like you but Rosy Franklin would? (Do you talk like a Yankee? jk ;-)

What's your objective? Is it just to make sure you get in somewhere? If so, I'd suggest your safeties be DO and that you play up the Osteopathic mindset for all it's worth. Why the holistic and human-centered approach is so wonderful, why you want primary care, how shadowing a DO opened your eyes... (Shadow one quick!) How DO calls to you viscerally even more than MD..

The only time it will come into play is if something is otherwise wrong with your app. If nothing's wrong otherwise, and you interview reasonably well, your numbers are amply good enough for most (all) Texas schools. There's some randomness in the process - but with 8 MD schools and decent numbers, you can afford a few random "just didn't fit here" misses. If it's not a random thing -- i.e. if the problem is you, your safeties need to be below the 'TX pack' --

What are the circumstances under which UTMB wouldn't like you but Rosy Franklin would? (Do you talk like a Yankee? jk ;-)

Agreed. I am submitting the AMCAS just to apply to Baylor and AACOMAS just to apply to the LECOMs as safeties simply because of the low cost. After factoring in high OOS tuition, cost of living, etc, reapplying to Texas schools next year seem like a better option if I don't get in this year.

Very well said.

Texas has some low tier schools (Foster - 29/3.6) and some high tier schools (UTSW - 34/3.8) so I love the fact that Texas has a wide variety of schools. If I don't get into Foster or A&M or one of the low tier schools, I highly doubt I'd be able to get in anywhere out of state.

To be honest, I'm only making an OOS school list because my friends keep saying it's too risky to not apply out of state. They've messed with my head :(

Agreed. I am submitting the AMCAS just to apply to Baylor and AACOMAS just to apply to the LECOMs as safeties simply because of the low cost. After factoring in high OOS tuition, cost of living, etc, I matriculate anywhere else, reapplying to Texas schools next year seem like a better option if I don't get in this year.

That's what I've been telling everyone. I love Texas (except the weather) and will most likely practice here in the future. If I get 0 acceptances in Texas and only get accepted to, let's say...Rosalind Franklin. I think I'd rather reapply than go to some random school I chose as a safety.

That's what I've been telling everyone. I love Texas (except the weather) and will most likely practice here in the future. If I get 0 acceptances in Texas and only get accepted to, let's say...Rosalind Franklin. I think I'd rather reapply than go to some random school I chose as a safety.

Not to be mean or anything, but why apply to a school you do not want to go to? And why would you apply to a safety if you would rather reapply than go to a "random school" you applied to. I'm just curious, aha. No hard feelings

Not to be mean or anything, but why apply to a school you do not want to go to? And why would you apply to a safety if you would rather reapply than go to a "random school" you applied to. I'm just curious, aha. No hard feelings

No offense taken.

I'm just saying...worst case scenario, if I get in nowhere but out of state, I really think I'd just reapply in state. And because of that reason, I most likely won't apply out of state. I think Doktermom and whatbout2morrow made me realize I'd rather just reapply if I get unlucky this cycle.

Thanks bro! Why would I add in Rush? It only interviews 2.7% of its OOS applicants...and only 25% of those matriculate

Sorry, I meant Rosalind Franklin. Good catch.

Very well said.

Texas has some low tier schools (Foster - 29/3.6) and some high tier schools (UTSW - 34/3.8) so I love the fact that Texas has a wide variety of schools. If I don't get into Foster or A&M or one of the low tier schools, I highly doubt I'd be able to get in anywhere out of state.

To be honest, I'm only making an OOS school list because my friends keep saying it's too risky to not apply out of state. They've messed with my head :(

I think DokterMom is right in that you should be getting interviews from Texas more likely than you would OOS.

I had the same mindset. However, I got approved for FAP so I am paying almost nothing to apply.

Hopefully you and I can get IIs atleast at the techs and A&M, considering our scores.
Its still early even though the anxiety has already kicked in.

Sorry, I meant Rosalind Franklin. Good catch.

I think DokterMom is right in that you should be getting interviews from Texas more likely than you would OOS.

I had the same mindset. However, I got approved for FAP so I am paying almost nothing to apply.

Hopefully you and I can get IIs atleast at the techs and A&M, considering our scores.
Its still early even though the anxiety has already kicked in.

I'd be surprised if we didn't at least interview at the techs or A&M. I know medical school is a crapshoot, but we're Texas residents, so it's a little easier for us than most people outside of our state. Both of our stats are good, so if we get 0 invites from Texas, we have a serious major red flag, and that red flag will remain there even in our AMCAS application.

So I'll take a risk and not apply elsewhere. Woohoo! Stress free.

Thank you all for the advice! :):)

As an applicant of TX last cycle who submitted both TMDSAS and AMCAS (MD only), I'll tell you the entire process is an unpredictable crapshoot. My stats were fairly low (low GPA, serviceable MCAT) so I was worried about gaining a single acceptance. In TX I got interviews from Lubbock, Foster, and UTSW and rejections from all other schools. Oddly, I would say I had fairly good luck OOS - I got 6 II's out of about 20 schools (all of the schools had a substantially lower II rate compared to TX schools).

Ultimately, I'll be matriculating in TX. Do I advise applying OOS if you live in TX? I've seen many people advise against applying OOS unless you really like particular schools, but seeing the outcome of my weird cycle I'm not sure what to recommend. If you're worried about getting a single acceptance and you want to up your chances and you happen to have some cash to burn then it can't hurt. The process is so unpredictable as is, I caution you about making predictions about where you may or may not get II's - you never really know till you try.

Last edited:
As an applicant of TX last cycle who submitted both TMDSAS and AMCAS (MD only), I'll tell you the entire process is an unpredictable crapshoot. My stats were fairly low (low GPA, serviceable MCAT) so I was worried about gaining a single acceptance. In TX I got interviews from Lubbock, Foster, and UTSW and rejections from all other schools. Oddly, I would say I had fairly good luck OOS - I got 6 II's out of about 20 schools (all of the schools had a substantially lower II rate compared to TX schools).

Ultimately, I'll be matriculating in TX. Do I advise applying OOS if you live in TX? I've seen many people advise against applying OOS unless you really like particular schools, but seeing the outcome of my weird cycle I'm not sure what to recommend. If you're worried about getting a single acceptance and you want to up your chances and you happen to have some cash to burn then it can't hurt. The process is so unpredictable as is, I caution you about making predictions about where you may or may not get II's - you never really know till you try.

Could we get some numbers on the GPA/MCAT to gauge our standings?

Also congrats on getting into the Texas schools!

wow youre right in line with mine. 3.4/3.3/35

I hope I get an II from UTSW though.

when did you hear back from them?

I heard from them fairly early in the cycle along with Foster and Tech Lubbock. By mid-October I attended all my interviews in TX and from then all it was straight silence from all of my other TMDSAS schools. My AMCAS II's came steadily through the entire cycle with a large push around late Sept/early Oct.

To you and everyone else reading - If anything, don't rely on other people's stats as any indication of chances of II's. If I learned anything this cycle, there's just too many intangibles (essays, LORs, ECs, how your app reads for one person vs another, etc) to account for in the admissions game.

I heard from them fairly early in the cycle along with Foster and Tech Lubbock. By mid-October I attended all my interviews in TX and from then all it was straight silence from all of my other TMDSAS schools. My AMCAS II's came steadily through the entire cycle with a large push around late Sept/early Oct.

To you and everyone else reading - If anything, don't rely on other people's stats as any indication of chances of II's. If I learned anything this cycle, there's just too many intangibles (essays, LORs, ECs, how your app reads for one person vs another, etc) to account for in the admissions game.

While your MCAT is good, your GPA is probably what kept you from getting more interviews. Which OOS schools did you get interviewed/accepted at?

While your MCAT is good, your GPA is probably what kept you from getting more interviews. Which OOS schools did you get interviewed/accepted at?

If you're curious then shoot me a PM. I'd rather not divulge too much on the public forums.

Very interesting - Thanks for sharing. I've got to admit I'm surprised that your applications to interview invites ratio skewed the way it did. Maybe the slight disconnect between your GPA and MCAT? Or the non-trad thing? Who knows -- Though you were accepted in-state and did choose to matriculate IS.

Interesting. I still probably will just apply to TMDSAS schools the first time around though simply because of the huge cost difference. I would add AMCAS schools next year if I have to reapply though.

Interesting. I still probably will just apply to TMDSAS schools the first time around though simply because of the huge cost difference. I would add AMCAS schools next year if I have to reapply though.

Ditto. I know it's a gamble, but let's hope we both get in somewhere :D