WAMC: OOS School List; URM + TX resident

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BoctorBro

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello, I’d like some help with a school list for OOS schools. I’m applying next cycle. Thanks!

AMCAS GPAs - 3.82/3.84
TMDSAS GPAs - 3.85/3.81

MCAT - 516 (131/127/130/128)

Demographic — URM black male; TX resident

Undergrad - Psych Major at Flagship State School

Clinical Volunteering
-70 hours at an ED in underserved area
-250 hours at an HIV clinic in underserved area w/ large sexual minority pop.

Non-clinical Volunteering
-400 hours at Food Pantries and clothing drives for the homeless

Research
-400 hours mental health + substance use prevention research at the 1st lab
-Also worked on the lab’s social media page to combat misinformation and help educate/destigmatize things related to SUD treatments
-2 sole author poster presentations on health disparities in opioid treatment retention at national conferences
-300 hours public health data sci research at the 2nd lab; built models to measure effectiveness of policies and mental health/SUD treatment effectiveness and health disparities

Teaching/Tutoring
-300 hours (1 year) as learning assistant for Gen chem
-300 hours (1 year) as TA for Gen Chem; Lead my team of several learning assistants and coordinated practice problem sessions to promote learning with over 50+ students in my section

Shadowing
-50+ hours with primary care and other specialties

Leadership
-Created local food drive to meet needs of local community which raised 800+ lbs of food during the pandemic (2 years)
-Served on youth advisory board working with high school students across the country on ways to strategize and promote wellness and mental health programs (5 months, part of research internship)

Other
-100 hours interning at a start up company that marketed their videogame interventions to promote healthy behaviors in teens to schools nationwide

Hobbies
-600+ hours of digital artwork & design: created psych dept T shirt design which raised over $1100 for the dept; designed flyers for campus events

School List

All TMDSAS MD schools

Members don't see this ad.

How much networking have you had with SNMA or mentoring groups for Black applicants, especially Black males?

Consider the HBCU schools for sure, but on face value, you should be able to call your shot.

Reactions: 1 user
How much networking have you had with SNMA or mentoring groups for Black applicants, especially Black males?

Consider the HBCU schools for sure, but on face value, you should be able to call your shot.
I recently started following SNMA school pages on social media and will look out for webinars for networking opportunities.

Also, I did some research on MSAR and I'm thinking about adding the following schools because of research interest and mission fit. For majority, I think I'd be at the 10-25 percentiles for their MCAT. What are your thoughts?

Duke
UCSF
Stanford
NYU
Columbia
Yale

Members don't see this ad :)
You could add any of these OOS MD schools:
Harvard
Yale
Brown
NYU
Mount Sinai
Columbia
Cornell
Johns Hopkins
Duke
Miami
Vanderbilt
Washington University (in St. Louis)
U Chicago
Northwestern
Case Western
U Michigan
UCSF
Stanford

• Wow
Reactions: 2 users
You could add any of these OOS MD schools:
Harvard
Yale
Brown
NYU
Mount Sinai
Columbia
Cornell
Johns Hopkins
Duke
Miami
Vanderbilt
Washington University (in St. Louis)
U Chicago
Northwestern
Case Western
U Michigan
UCSF
Stanford
Thanks for the list. I did some asking around and was told that NYU and some of the other stat heavy schools may be too high of a reach even with my background and MCAT. Would my stats hold me up that much? I’d appreciate your insight.

Thanks for the list. I did some asking around and was told that NYU and some of the other stat heavy schools may be too high of a reach even with my background and MCAT. Would my stats hold me up that much? I’d appreciate your insight.
In an average year, there are only 100 Black applicants with a GPA of 3.8 or higher AND a MCAT of 513+. Fewer than 40 would be male. So that is one male applicant admitted for each top 40 school. You can apply to any school that appeals to you.

• Wow
Reactions: 3 users
In an average year, there are only 100 Black applicants with a GPA of 3.8 or higher AND a MCAT of 513+. Fewer than 40 would be male. So that is one male applicant admitted for each top 40 school. You can apply to any school that appeals to you.
Is this similar for latinos? The only data I can find is from more than a few years ago by the AAMC

Nice app, OP. Hook ‘em Horns!

The data is old but for Hispanic applicants approximately 300 per year apply with a GPA greater than 3.8 AND a MCAT of 513+.
I don't recall how old, but it should be noted that AfrAm applicants have remained relatively flat over years, but the Lat/x group is steadily rising. Consequently, I do expect this number to be a bit higher. I'm a bit surprised this hasn't been updated.

• Wow