txt to suppress postpartum lactation??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DNASplicer

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
okay, in pharm I learned this txt is bromocriptine... but got a question wrong using this as an answer. UMSLEworld explained that it is not FDA approved for this...

then another question explaintion contradicted this...

what's the txt?
a) tight fitting bra, ice, analgesics
b) bromocriptine

Members don't see this ad.

I know, lactation suppression and bromocriptine have become word associations, but I have also learned from the same UW Q that it is no longer advised for that purpose because of it's adverse effects...see CMDT 2006 p. 785.

DNASplicer said:
what's the txt?
b) bromocriptine

From page 157 in Secrets:
Q 37. You may prescribe tight fitting bras, ice packs, analgesia to reduce symptoms. Bromocriptine and estrogen or OCPs also may be used to suppress lactation.

I suppose it comes down to trying the least invasive, cheapest treatment first before going on to drugs (more expensive, side effects).

Members don't see this ad :)
thanks guys for your input.

... trying to keep it together on the last stretch!

DNASplicer said:
okay, in pharm I learned this txt is bromocriptine... but got a question wrong using this as an answer. UMSLEworld explained that it is not FDA approved for this...

what's the txt?
b) bromocriptine

Answer is "a" according to the new edition of MKSAP for students...

Bromocriptine is no longer FDA approved to treat galactorrhea.

DNASplicer said:

what's the txt?
b) bromocriptine

I remember this question very well on UW and the woman mentioned in the question did NOT want to breastfeed. The question was, what should you do to stop lactation...

If the woman were lactating without cause, ie. prolactinoma, a dopa agonist would be the correct answer.

For a postpartum woman that chooses not to breastfeed and wants to stop lactation = tight bra and ice packs. Cheap, effective, no SE's.

Doctortobee said:
Believe it or not, I think you can also use cabbage leaves!

Just out of curiosity, where did you do your Ob/Gyn rotation?

I'm asking because the hospital I did my rotation at had cabbage leaves as part of the discharge instructions for moms who weren't breastfeeding. Just wondering if we rotated at the same place.

It's not minor when your boobs are hotter than a stove, bigger than your head, and redder than my face after saying this :eek: :eek:

Cabbage leaves get stinky, and that bra that's "tight-fitting" when you go to bed has a bursting, "Incredible Hulk"-like fit in the morning!

And I've only been weaning for a few weeks...

I can only eliminate one feeding every few days. I can't imagine what it would be like to need to stop cold turkey.

Not that anyone wanted to know this :D

Not just an Ohio thing--- we were taught about cabbage leaves here in Chicago too :D not as first line treatment, but just as something to mention she can try

topically-- you put the cabbage leaf on the breast. It's supposed to be cooling and absorb a ton of fluid. Really nothing special about cabbage, you could use lettuce etc, it's just symptomatic relief, doesn't do anything to stop engorgement