Type of changes a pharmacist can do without contacting prescibers

Discussion in 'Pharmacy' started by Tenchivu, 09.19.14.

1. SDN is made possible through member donations, sponsorships, and our volunteers. Learn about SDN's nonprofit mission.
  1. Tenchivu

Tenchivu

Pharmacy Student
    I was wondering what type of changes a pharmacist can do on non-controlled rx without the need to contact the prescribers first. For example, prescriber wrote 29g needles for insulin pens but it's not available. Can a pharmacist switch it to 30g or 31g without needing to confirm with them?

2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. zelman

zelman 7+ Year Member

Pharmacist
    Legally, no. You can't change anything.

4. Wheresmyaricept

Wheresmyaricept 2+ Year Member

Pre-Pharmacy
    Unless you have a medical protocol signed off by the doctor allowing you to substitute drugs or change things, then pretty much nothing. Unless you're one of those cool states that can convert it to a 90 day supply. My state isn't that cool.

Then again if it's something stupid like changing the gauge for insulin pen needles, what's stopping you from just changing it because 99.9999% of doctors would be like "why are you calling just change it".

5. msweph

msweph 2+ Year Member

Pharmacist
    I can't imagine having to call a doctor to change a tablet size of a statin, etc

6. FarmD711

FarmD711 2+ Year Member

Pharmacist
    What do you mean by tablet size?

7. BenJammin

BenJammin No Apologies 5+ Year Member

Pharmacist
    In Texas we're authorized to change dosage form as long as they're equivalent. Amoxicillin tablets to capsules to suspension to whatever. That sort of thing. Although I do wonder the legality of a doctor writing for albuterol HFA and just putting a brand name in its place.

8. BidingMyTime

BidingMyTime Lost Shaker Of Salt 10+ Year Member

Pharmacist
    Do you mean substituting 2-20mg tablets for 1-40mg tablet (or something like that?) It may depend on your state, that kind of substituting is exceptable in IL (unfortunately, we aren't as cool as TX and can't change dosage forms)

9. msweph

msweph 2+ Year Member

Pharmacist
    More like 1/2 of a 40 mg d/t insurance reasons

10. stoichiometrist

stoichiometrist 5+ Year Member

Pharmacy Student
    At the hospital where I did my IPPE, the pharmacists made renal dosing adjustments without contacting the prescriber, according to protocol.

11. zelman

zelman 7+ Year Member

Pharmacist
    Laws do not apply to hospitals' internal operations as far as I can tell.

12. maria1oh

maria1oh 7+ Year Member

Also heard hospital pharmacists can switch a patients PPI or statin to whatever their hospital formulary is. Pantoprazole was the only PPI available at the hospital I rotated at.

13. gwarm01

gwarm01 7+ Year Member

Pharmacist
    We do a lot of stuff like that too. We order levels and change dosing/intervals on vanco and aminoglycosides
    It probably depends on the hospital, but things like this are pretty common. Protocols are developed and the formulary decided on by the P&T committee. I'm not sure how it is presented from the physician's standpoint, but it seems like there is an understanding that if you practice at institution A, you must abide by the rules and regulations of the institution. I think it makes it easier on everyone to sort of streamline the process like that. Besides, anytime we need to bend the rules for a valid medical reason most of us are willing to make it work.

14. bobisnew

bobisnew 5+ Year Member

I do the best and most efficient thing for the patient......Annotate "MD OK" and write what you feel is correct and benefits patient. Done!

15. marscole

marscole Junior Member 10+ Year Member

For example, insulin pen needles:

The script was written in 32G x 6 mm

But, only 31G x 4 mm and 31G x 8 mm available in the store. Should you stick with either one of them?
    Or you tell the pt "Unfortunately, we don't have the written in stock. We will order for you, and will be available after xyz time. Is that okay for you?"

16. zelman

zelman 7+ Year Member

Pharmacist
    In reality, you give what you have. From a legal perspective, you cannot do so. You must turn away the prescription or order the product.

About the ads