Types of Courses for Pre-req

This forum made possible through the generous support of
SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

wrkinhard

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does it matter, as long as its not a survey course, what kind of science courses we take? For example, there are 2 chemistry courses at the Unversity of Washington..one for bio majors and one for non-engineering. I opted for the non-engineering course because the other one required Calculus which I don't have under my belt yet (college level). Is it case by case with each school, or do ALL the schools require that you take a pre-med caliber science load?

Members don't see this ad.

Hey,

I think most schools would accept the chemistry course w/o calculus. My school also offered two types of chem and physics courses. I took the non-calculus based courses and all the optometry schools I applied to were fine with it.

Ning-Ju

wrkinhard said:
Does it matter, as long as its not a survey course, what kind of science courses we take? For example, there are 2 chemistry courses at the Unversity of Washington..one for bio majors and one for non-engineering. I opted for the non-engineering course because the other one required Calculus which I don't have under my belt yet (college level). Is it case by case with each school, or do ALL the schools require that you take a pre-med caliber science load?

Take the ones for bio majors. You don't need any engineering type courses for optometry. Even the physics that is required is the algebra based physics, not calculus based. I imagine you could take the calculus based courses if you really wanted to, but they're not required. I think most schools require 1 semester of calculus though (even though you'll probably never use it).