Types of Hospitalist Practice Model

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DrDudeMD

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all,

As I go through the different opportunities out there, I've realized that there are different types of practices. Some hospitals may get their supply of hospitalists from different hospitalist group(s) to work in the hospital. Other hospitals only employ their own hospitalists. What are the disadvantage, if any, to the former model?

Besides being able to teach and work with students/residents, are there other advantages to working in the academic setting? Prestige? If one starts as a nonacadmic hospitalist, is it easy to make the jump back into the academic field? I can imagine the other way around being much easier.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Ha if your prestige is your thing maybe academics. It seems like why some of them do it, but most of them will tell you that you make less, work harder, and deal with more bull****, so I can't tell the ones who do it for the love of teaching as they say or for ego. Other faculty will tell you they don't make less, but in that case they are usually doing more hospital admin or research than clinical or teaching.

Depends what you mean by academic too. You have very clinically oriented faculty who do more teaching, although what amount of admin and scholarly research work they do varies, it is definitely expected of any academic faculty to some extent. Other faculty are less clinical and more research or admin oriented. Also depends if you mean academic at a big medical research insitution or just faculty at a residency program.

Going from non-academic to academic if you want a prestigious academic center job, not so much. If you go non-academic and want to just get a job as a teaching attending at a community residency program, that is usually pretty easy.

Ah, it's late. Clinician educator? Not hard. Academic research or moving up the ranks in a prestigious center? Then where you go to college, then to med school, then to residency, and publications, fellowship, will matter.