typical case western waitlist/hold movement

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Chaz Michaels

Mind-bottling, isn't it?
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
What is the typical movement? Statistics? Threads? Personal Experience? Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Also interested in knowing this. Does hold = waitlist? Or does hold = no decision, with waitlist or possible rejection still looming? Referring to the post-interview hold, of course.

^Case's hold just means that no final decision (yes, no, wait) has been rendered on you. According to a successful Case re-applicant on another thread, during the last cycle many people were accepted off the hold list before they generated the wait list, but very few people were taken off the actual wait list. However, each cycle is unique. It's hard to get a straight answer on typical wait list movement for any school. And, even if you did it's not really useful because things can and do change from cycle to cycle.

Members don't see this ad :)
do we know when the waitlist is generated? may, i guess? i'm on post-interview hold, too.

Edit: read my iapply hold message:
Your application has been placed in a hold category and will be kept open for continuing review as we progress through the year. Acceptance offers are made on a rolling basis from October through March. All applicants are notified no later than May 1 of the final action of the Committee including placement on the alternate list.

A hold simply means a decision on your file is deferred. You can be accepted, waitlisted, or rejected later on. A friend who attends Case said that many people came off of the hold list. I can't quantify what "many" means, but at least it shows that people do.

do we know when the waitlist is generated? may, i guess? i'm on post-interview hold, too.

Edit: read my iapply hold message:
Your application has been placed in a hold category and will be kept open for continuing review as we progress through the year. Acceptance offers are made on a rolling basis from October through March. All applicants are notified no later than May 1 of the final action of the Committee including placement on the alternate list.

Same deal here. I hope I don't have to wait until May 1 only to be waitlisted. I am so tired of holds that feel like waitlists that feel like delayed rejections, but oh wait it really was just a hold, and NOW you're officially waitlisted :rolleyes:

Waiting for the waitlist, ha. How great is that?

There are a lot of different reports about this floating around, so it would be nice to hear something from Case directly about it. My impression from what they said at the interview and various reports from this forum over the last two cycles is this: Some people report that up to 2/3 thirds of Case acceptances come from the hold list. The hold list is generally a way of offsetting the rolling admissions process by deferring some admissions to the end of the season. There have been acceptances off the hold list reported as early as January, but it seems that most people who are accepted off the hold list hear in March after all the interviews are over. Case says on their website that the actual waitlist is drawn up in April :

"April 2008: Interviewed applicants "on hold after interview" are notified about alternate list decisions."

Best of luck to us all

There are a lot of different reports about this floating around, so it would be nice to hear something from Case directly about it. My impression from what they said at the interview and various reports from this forum over the last two cycles is this: Some people report that up to 2/3 thirds of Case acceptances come from the hold list. The hold list is generally a way of offsetting the rolling admissions process by deferring some admissions to the end of the season. There have been acceptances off the hold list reported as early as January, but it seems that most people who are accepted off the hold list hear in March after all the interviews are over. Case says on their website that the actual waitlist is drawn up in April :

"April 2008: Interviewed applicants "on hold after interview" are notified about alternate list decisions."

Best of luck to us all

Current first year at Case here, and this summary is accurate as far as I know/heard. I got off the hold list last year in January and it can happen pretty much anytime.

iceman, did you send letters/updates after you were put on hold?

bump. I'm interested in this too. ;)

iceman, did you send letters/updates after you were put on hold?

I did send them an update with my grades from fall quarter after being put on hold. Don't know if it made a difference or not, but it boosted my GPA at the time and I imagine that it can't hurt to update the school.