Typical day for a PA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

EissMachine

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
can any of you PA's out there sort of say what a typical day on the job involves. I'm not asking you to get personal or anything, but I'm just curious as to how you work as a member of a healthcare team, and how much freedom and autonomy you really have. What things do you guys routinely do and deal with on a daily basis?

Members don't see this ad.

Sorry, I'm not a Physician Assistant, but if you go to physicianassistant.net and post this question there, you'll get some quality responses in addition to the ones you recieve here. Not that this site isn't PA friendly or anything like that, it's just that the other site is dedicated entirely to the PA profession. Hope this helps.

here was my day today....
1230 p-2p: treadmill training( we are opening an ed obs unit run by pa's.among other things there we will treadmill all atypical chest pains with neg initial workups )
2p-12a: er shift: saw around 25-30 pts varying levels of acuity. several admits, consults, transfers.pts included:chest pain, new onset afib( pushed diltiazem for rate control),cva, 3rd trimester pregnant vag bleed, multiple lac reapirs, abscesses, and fxs(some with reduction), several psych pts , several febrile workups in kids, few headaches, dvt, etc
overall a great scope of practice in a supportive environment with great colleagues. I work at several facilities. 1 is a large trauma ctr where the pa's see essentially everything except multisystem trauma, obvious cva's and mi's. the other facility is a smaller er with 24 hrs/day pa coverage and 8 hrs/day md coverage. working there I see whatever comes in the door. have run codes there, intubated, cardioverted, etc. that being said this is not a typical new pa job. I have worked in emergency medicine for almost 20 yrs and worked as a paramedic before pa school so I am allowed a lot more latitude than any new grad. our er group does not hire anyone without at least 5 yrs experience, acls/atls/pals, etc so this is the kind of job you get after working at a bunch of other positions 1st.

Members don't see this ad :)
Start around 8'ish. Crank up the coffee machine. See patients in clinic until 4-5'ish. No nights/weekends/call...

emedpa said:
here was my day today....
I have worked in emergency medicine for almost 20 yrs and worked as a paramedic before pa school so I am allowed a lot more latitude than any new grad. our er group does not hire anyone without at least 5 yrs experience, acls/atls/pals, etc so this is the kind of job you get after working at a bunch of other positions 1st.

What do you do then as an Entry-level PA?

urgent care or fast track to develop basic skills for a few years to include acls/atls/pals.I assume you have an ems background from your avatar so that helps quite a bit because you hit the ground running instead of from square 1. there is a great thread on getting into em as a pa on the em forum at www.physicianassociate.com
it is one of the stickys. they are all worth reading so take a look.