Typical day in vet school

Started by remi4301
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

remi4301

Michigan 2018!
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi all!
I was wondering if some current vet students could briefly describe a typical day. Are you in class from 8-5? Is it primarily lecture for first part of the day, then labs after lunch? Are you in the same classes every day or is it like undergrad, and go to certain classes MWF and others on Tues & Thurs? What time are you typically done with school for the day? How many hours do you find yourself studying each night (I know this will vary greatly from person to person).
I'm in the waiting game and am trying to envision the near (fingers crossed) future.
Thanks! ! 😀
 
Hi all!
I was wondering if some current vet students could briefly describe a typical day. Are you in class from 8-5? Is it primarily lecture for first part of the day, then labs after lunch? Are you in the same classes every day or is it like undergrad, and go to certain classes MWF and others on Tues & Thurs? What time are you typically done with school for the day? How many hours do you find yourself studying each night (I know this will vary greatly from person to person).
I'm in the waiting game and am trying to envision the near (fingers crossed) future.
Thanks! ! 😀
It depends on the semester. 1st semester was pretty much 8/9-5 each day with lab in the afternoon. 2nd semester there were some 8am's, but usually it was 10-5 with lab in the morning. 3rd semester it's been really variable. Some days it is just 1-5, others it is a 2 hour lab in the morning or a 1 hour class in the morning (anytime from 8-12), and then class from 1-5. 4th semester will be class from 8-12 and lab from 1-5.
All schools are different, though.
The amount of time I spend studying outside school depends on what test is coming up. Some days, I come home and study until I go to sleep (with taking breaks to eat and shower). Other days, I might spend only ~3 hours studying. Rarely do I take a day off from studying.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
At Davis they've tried to make a point of having short days. Every single day has a different schedule, but typically we start between 8 and 10 (usually 9) and are done between 2 and 4. Some days we're there until 5, and I've had a few where I've only had a single hour-long lecture. Labs are generally in the afternoon.