Typical fee for Chart review for law suit

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DOBound2019

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone. I have been approached about doing an internal chart review for an on going law suit. The group approaching me wants psychiatrist to exam about 11 charts to help determine their next round of plaintiffs. It's a big case and actually the work they are doing is something I believe in strongly. I have never actually done this type of work and have no idea what kind fee or pay structure I should be asking or expecting. I am a first year CAP fellow and my PD told me he typically charges 350-400 dollars an hour for this type of work. Anyone have any advice on what I should be asking for and any other considerations before accepting the job? Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Adult colleagues I know are charging $500 an hour plus $3-5000 retainer for forensic work. If they won’t pay you a retainer they may not be planning to pay you at all

Reactions: 7 users
I agree with ironpsy, you would typically charge your hourly forensic rate for this kind of work. Keep in mind that early on some people charge less than market rate in hopes of getting experience if they want to do these kind of cases, especially if they are still a trainee or have no forensic experience. You would still want to charge a decent rate though, likely what your supervisor is charging falls around a minimum range for this kind of work though it can vary by location.