Typical LECOM EAP applicant

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

KellySmith24

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi!
Who is a typical high school LECOM EAP applicant?
I know that many BSMD programs are insanely competitive, and their typical applicant usually has 1500+ for SAT, very/most rigorous hs curriculum, very high (usually perfect) grades, truly impressive ECs (national competitions, research, etc.), top 1% of the class...
Does all that describe LECOM EAP applicants as well? Or this program is more "forgiving" (=less competitive)?
How likely is a good student to get in? By a good student I mean somebody who is taking rigorous, but certainly not the most rigorous curriculum, grades are a mix of As and Bs (with more As than Bs), somebody with SAT in high 1300s, somebody with non-competitive, but health-related ECs (volunteering, shadowing, etc.), somebody who is around top 10% of the class...
What are your thought on this?
Thanks in advance for replying!

Members don't see this ad.

Just FYI I don't think anyone recommends these programs. If you're a great student, you shouldn't restrict yourself to one school unless you have a highly specific reason to want to go there.

Reactions: 1 user
Thank you for your reply! I like this program. My question is how competitive a student like me is for LECOM EAP. I am certainly a strong, but not a top/stellar student. I expect to take 6 APs by the end of HS with the rest of my classes mostly being honors and a couple of regular level... I will have a few Bs for my science and math classes, but most of my grades are still As so far...
So, I am wondering how a typical applicant looks like... I have no chance against those BSMD applicants, but is the pool here similar?

Members don't see this ad :)

I'd say don't do it regardless of how competitive it might be. I didn't decide on medicine until I was already in college and it was the LAST thing I wanted to go into when I was in high school. I'm not sure how binding those programs are, but you might change your mind and decide you want to do something completely different (business, compsci, engineering, etc.). Let yourself have the freedom to grow and change your mind if you want to. Just my $0.02.

Thank you for your reply! I like this program. My question is how competitive a student like me is for LECOM EAP. I am certainly a strong, but not a top/stellar student. I expect to take 6 APs by the end of HS with the rest of my classes mostly being honors and a couple of regular level... I will have a few Bs for my science and math classes, but most of my grades are still As so far...
So, I am wondering how a typical applicant looks like... I have no chance against those BSMD applicants, but is the pool here similar?

Fair enough. As long as you understand you've been fully warned these programs are completely unnecessary and you shouldn't lock yourself to a school.

Have you emailed the program directly? I'm certain they have someone in their admissions office that would be happy to tell you where you stand in terms of competitiveness, and it'd be better than the speculation on here. Not many people here are going to have gone through that program, so your sample size will be small if any.

I'd say don't do it regardless of how competitive it might be. I didn't decide on medicine until I was already in college and it was the LAST thing I wanted to go into when I was in high school. I'm not sure how binding those programs are, but you might change your mind and decide you want to do something completely different (business, compsci, engineering, etc.). Let yourself have the freedom to grow and change your mind if you want to. Just my $0.02.
Thank you for your 2 cents! The program is non-binding and any student can get out of it. So, if somebody chooses to go in business, compsci, law or something else other than medicine, he is free to do so.
Also, thank you for the link. I will make sure to read it carefully.

Last edited:
Have you emailed the program directly? I'm certain they have someone in their admissions office that would be happy to tell you where you stand in terms of competitiveness, and it'd be better than the speculation on here. Not many people here are going to have gone through that program, so your sample size will be small if any.
Not yet, but I will. Thank you.
Just wanted to get some opinions/learn about other students' experiences on this forum (related to my original question).
I totally understand that the sample size is small.

I disagree with everyone and advise you to get a provisional medical school acceptance before everyone else, with your high school stats, while you can.

The stress level is dimensions apart. You will thank yourself.

Also, to clarify, you are not "locked in" just because you have a provisional acceptance. You have a guaranteed acceptance, but you are allowed to apply elsewhere or choose another field entirely. Nothing is binding. Get that acceptance and give yourself maximum flexibility to do things.

I disagree with everyone and advise you to get a provisional medical school acceptance before everyone else, with your high school stats, while you can.

The stress level is dimensions apart. You will thank yourself.

Also, to clarify, you are not "locked in" just because you have a provisional acceptance. You have a guaranteed acceptance, but you are allowed to apply elsewhere or choose another field entirely. Nothing is binding. Get that acceptance and give yourself maximum flexibility to do things.
Thank you for replying and for your opinion. I agree with you. I like the program and would definitely take the provisional acceptance ... if I am granted one :). My question is not whether this program is worth consideration. My question is whether I sound like a strong enough applicant. I have no idea what the acceptance rate is since I was not able to find this information anywhere. I do not have all A's in high school (I have B's in some math and science subjects), I take rigorous, but not the most rigorous curriculum and my SAT is like 95th percentile (or something like that). I definitely meet their cut off criteria to apply, but I am just afraid I am not strong enough compared to others... So, I was looking for people to share their experience and what they know about the applicants for LECOM EAP.

Thank you for replying and for your opinion. I agree with you. I like the program and would definitely take the provisional acceptance ... if I am granted one :). My question is not whether this program is worth consideration. My question is whether I sound like a strong enough applicant. I have no idea what the acceptance rate is since I was not able to find this information anywhere. I do not have all A's in high school (I have B's in some math and science subjects), I take rigorous, but not the most rigorous curriculum and my SAT is like 95th percentile (or something like that). I definitely meet their cut off criteria to apply, but I am just afraid I am not strong enough compared to others... So, I was looking for people to share their experience and what they know about the applicants for LECOM EAP.
i don't know what your GPA, but i'm going to assume that it is above 3.5
combine that with a 95th percentile SAT, you will get an interview. be cool, upfront, honest and mature in your interview, and you'll get in easily.

the reality for the LECOM EAP is that if you have the stats and don't bomb the interview, you will get in. once you make the effort to attend the interview, the acceptance rate is something around 95% or higher.

the second reality is, the far-sighted high school senior will have a much better, mentally healthy time on this journey. Taking the opportunity to apply to med school right now using high school stats is much easier than competing with undergraduates, despite applying to the same graduate program. compare 95% acceptance rate to 41%. at individual medical schools, the acceptance rate is anywhere from 1~10%? There is no comparison.

I'd also advise preferencing BS MD programs above BS DO programs for several reasons. do research on sites like A Complete List of All BS/MD Programs (Updated 2021)

Read the program descriptions in detail. Some require the MCAT to matriculate, some do not. Target programs that do NOT. If you select a program that DOES, look at the scores required of you. The lower, the better. The more flexible the policy, the better.

If your high school stats are really that strong (doesn't matter how rigorous your classes were, all that matters is stats and possibly your activities in high school), you may find results in researching every single MD and/or DO school and inquiring if they have early acceptance programs, because not all such programs are publicly listed.

Half the time people don't even know if going to medical school is the right choice, if PA school will fit them better, nursing, or computer science or sports. Sometimes we just need to go for things and see where the road takes us. Therefore I suggest ignoring advice suggesting you to not apply. Most of those comments come from people who missed the opportunity.

Damson, thank you for your opinion and for taking time to write it in detail!