Typos in Recommendation Letters

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

IooI

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
My professor was nice enough to hand me a copy of the recommendation letter he wrote for me but I discovered a typo...he typed the same word two times in a row. I know this will reflect sourly on him, but will this attitude affect my chances in any way? Theres obviously nothing i can do about it but I was just curious as to what you guys think.

Members don't see this ad.

IooI said:
My professor was nice enough to hand me a copy of the recommendation letter he wrote for me but I discovered a typo...he typed the same word two times in a row. I know this will reflect sourly on him, but will this attitude affect my chances in any way? Theres obviously nothing i can do about it but I was just curious as to what you guys think.

dude, give me a break. seriously.

IooI said:
:confused:

Its an LOR not a publication, its likely no one will even notice.

Members don't see this ad :)
IooI said:

I hate to burst your bubble, but you're gonna be lucky if the 275 lbs. adcom reviewer even uses that Recommendation Letter to wipe her face after her 11th Hostess Twinkee of the morning, let alone actually reading that your professor used the word "to" twice in a row.

Enjoy the insomnia.

Yes this will break your entire application. Might as well start applying for entering class 2008.

IooI said:

Not your fault dude - you didn't write it. i bet the adcom peops see it all the time.

IooI said:

give up. :rolleyes:

The same thing happened with one of my recommenders last year... he wrote a very sweet letter, but with several typos/grammatical errors, including a misspelling of my name :eek: !

It's not going to be a problem at all... don't sweat it :)

IooI said:

I'm sure yours is not the first...

Some harsh responses to a normal first reaction to something like this. Bottom line - it is unlikely that any ADCOM member will lend less credibility to a LOR on the basis of grammar and spelling. Perhaps LizzyM has some thoughts on the topic?