U Maryland Interview?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Leah27

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is anyone else going to the Sept 18th interview slots at University of Maryland? Its my first interview and I'm nervous and excited. Has anyone had an interview there in the past? or know anything about their interview process? Any info is welcome! Thanks!!

Members don't see this ad.

Hey Leah,
You might want to check the interview feedback thread. Are you applying for early decision? I'm applying to UMaryland too, but regular decision, and haven't got an interview invitation yet. Do they need to receive your PCAT score before they extend an interview invitation to you? That would be bab because I'm not taking the PCAT until Oct. :(

Leah27 said:
Is anyone else going to the Sept 18th interview slots at University of Maryland? Its my first interview and I'm nervous and excited. Has anyone had an interview there in the past? or know anything about their interview process? Any info is welcome! Thanks!!

Congrats, Leah! I know what you went through in the past year, so I can imagine how exciting this will be for you. Good luck! :luck:

Members don't see this ad :)
Make sure you pack a mean angry turtle to bring with you!

P_630729_661123.jpg

Leah27 said:

Lucky! I want to be asked to interview. Good luck with everything:)

Leah27 said:

Hi Leah:

Congrats! :thumbup:
I had an interview with the Univ of Maryland in April of this year. Overall it was very relaxing. We (there were about 30 of us) started off with a writing portion, then they divided us into 5-6 small groups. I had the group interview next, then a "faculty" interview. Afterwards I had a "student" interview.

Just prepare for the group interview... One advice--be the first to talk. The interviewer would ask a question and wait for (anybody's) responses. In every group there's always somebody who "hogs" every question and says everything that others wanted to say. So don't be shy to go first. :)

Reply back if you have more questions!

Good luck!! :luck:

thanks for the info kiki.... and goheal... i applied SUPER early this year.. and i was the first one to accept the interview.. hehe.... but I had my PCATS from last year in in January.. I don't know if they require your PCATS first... all I know is last year I applied really late last year and didn't get an interview or get in anywhere.. But i think if you take the PCAT in october you'll be OK..... I'm glad to hear the interview is laid back... I'll get preparing!! Is there anything eles I should know about maryland? IS the school in a really bad neighboorhood?? I'm staying in a hotel 6 blocks away and plan on walking from the light rail station.. anyone familiar with the area?

Leah27 said:
IS the school in a really bad neighboorhood?? I'm staying in a hotel 6 blocks away and plan on walking from the light rail station.. anyone familiar with the area?

From what I heard from the 2nd year students, the school is in a really bad neighborhood. They told me that people normally don't walk alone after 6pm. I stayed at the Mt. Vernon Hotel, which is like 10-15 minutes away from the school. I met a girl there and she told me not to talk to strangers. Downtown Baltimore is in a completely different enviornment though--I felt safe there. :)

But really...no matter where you go you just have to be aware of your surroundings.

eeek... i'm staying at the Lord Baltimore Raddison which is like 6 blocks from the school... maybe i'll spring for the cab... :)

So how did your interview at Univ of Maryland go? How was the hotel? I'm headed there for the Feb.5 interview and I'm staying at the same hotel. I've never been to Baltimore before. I hope I can walk around and explore while I'm there.

I went to b-more with my girlfriend to attend the Oktoberfest. We left to drunk to drive so we took a cab to the downtown area. My opinion was that there is a deep lying evil in the city and the reputation supports that but I thought the people there were very nice even the homeless and I never felt in danger at any time. my personal stance is that if you carry yourself well, blend in and mind your Ps and Qs you'll do well anywhere you go.

When is your interview? I have my interview the same day in the morning. By the way, I've lived in Baltimore for the past 3 years. I live in a great area of the city called Federal Hill which is southwest of the Inner Harbor...lots of fun bars and restaurants with great food. I completed my masters at Hopkins which like UMd is not in a great area. Like everyone has said before me, you just have to use street smarts and be aware of your surroundings. Once you get to know Baltimore, you'll discover that the city has a lot of great things to offer.

I'm interviewing in the afternoon session. Good luck to you! Any recommendations of places to check out in the Inner Harbor area?

Sorry, I never got back to you, hugs. Last week was a bit crazy at work. How did your interview go? I found the whole atmosphere to be very laid back. I also really enjoyed my conversations with the faculty. What did you think of Baltimore?

Kimby1227 said:
Sorry, I never got back to you, hugs. Last week was a bit crazy at work. How did your interview go? I found the whole atmosphere to be very laid back. I also really enjoyed my conversations with the faculty. What did you think of Baltimore?

sounds like you did very well on the interview... congrats!
I went to Baltimore on 1/28 but I didn't get to look around the city...(I was in a hurry to go back to school!)
if you hear anything from them, please let me know :)

touchfish said:
sounds like you did very well on the interview... congrats!
I went to Baltimore on 1/28 but I didn't get to look around the city...(I was in a hurry to go back to school!)
if you hear anything from them, please let me know :)

I went for my Maryland interview last Monday afternoon 1/31. They emailed me their decision 2 days later, which I wasn't expecting because they said 2-3 weeks.

I heard back from Maryland this morning that I've been accepted. So excited since it was my first and only choice. :)

wow good job Kimby1227

Yes, they sent an e-mail saying that I have been accepted and they are mailing out my official acceptance letter today.