Dismiss Notice
SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

U mississippi

Discussion in 'Anesthesiology' started by amyl, Apr 19, 2007.

1. amyl

amyl ASA Member

Attending Physician
    Anyone know anything about this program? searching turned up nothing.

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Pilot Doc

Pilot Doc SDN Angel
    Moderator Emeritus

Resident [Any Field]
    No, but think twice about moving to Jackson if you've not lived in the deep south before.

4. militarymd

militarymd SDN Angel

Attending Physician
    Concur...I just got myself an awesome partner because Jackson is such a crappy place to live.

5. Pilot Doc

Pilot Doc SDN Angel
    Moderator Emeritus

Resident [Any Field]
    I wouldn't got that far. Lots of people love Jackson ... but almost all of them were born there. :)

6. amyl

amyl ASA Member

Attending Physician
    okay, i'll bite...whats wrong with jackson?

7. Pilot Doc

Pilot Doc SDN Angel
    Moderator Emeritus

Resident [Any Field]
    Things that people from outside Mississippi typically don't like

- very hot & humid
    - substantial white flight to the suburbs over the last 10-15 years leaving Jackson relatively poor, crime-ridden and run by very questionable city government. (If you live in the suburbs, that's not a problem.)
    - very insular - you'll spend a lot of time talking about Ole Miss football and the fraternity ties of 50 year olds
    - Both socially and politically conservative cultural milieu HEAVILY dominated by protestant christians. Particularly as a woman, if you say something like "God dammit" you will be considered a hideously uncouth heathen.
    - Race relations, which while immeasurably better than 40 years ago, are still not like the rest of the country. You can't get away with killing blacks anymore, but open racism is common and not particularly shunned by all except the most liberal whites.
    - Continued fascination with the confederacy really irks some people.
    - general poverty - it's a poor state with lots of have nots. (Less so and around Jackson)

Those are some of the things that come to mind immediately

8. amyl

amyl ASA Member

Attending Physician
    thanks for the info. I knew about the hot and humid, but it can't be worse that south florida in August. Interested me because I saw a lot of DOs in their current residents and I wanted to have some other place where it won't snow in my away rotations in case four years in S. Florida have made me forget what dealing with snow is like. I am technically a protestant christian (meaning I was born into it) but racism and not being able to swear.... I probably won't fit in. Thanks again

9. Khalid

Khalid Junior Member

In defense of Jackson, I've spent two weeks in the past two months, and I actually like it. Having never been there before, I was really curious what Jackson would be like and found it very charming in many ways.

I cursed openly :), and found it much less insular than many upper midwest cities like Pittsburgh & Cincy (cities I've lived in). While the city proper has seen major white flight (what city hasn't?) the surrounding suburbs were as nice as in any city--if not better because the price of real estate is so reasonable.

It's true, they do love their Ole Miss Rebels and MS State Bulldogs, its par for the course in SEC country.

Interestingly, race relations appeared to be excellent. Most shopping, dining, and entertainment areas were very integrated--much more so than in places like KC and Nashville (also places I've lived).

10. Duckie24

Duckie24 Totally Quackers!

Amyl, I wouldn't recommend ruling them out just yet, especially if you're still investigating places to do away rotations. I think I've said it before in other threads, but a not-so-great experience doesn't equal a bad experience. It would certainly give you a chance to evaluate the place for yourself, especially if the place seems interesting based on other factors, and find out more than just an opinion from on online forum. I ended up not interviewing at a place that I rotated because of all the information I was able to gather while rotating there, and this is a place that I probably would have ranked very highly otherwise. If you're interested and have the time/resources, go there and be yourself and see what happens. And you don't have to get rec letters everywhere you go. Most of mine came from my home school, and even though I did 3 aways, I only requested a rec letter from a professor at one of these places. No one is going to grill you on the interview trail about where you've been for aways......or at least no one ever asked me about it, so this is really all about you getting some experience and figuring out what will be important for you in your residency search.

Good luck.