U of Iowa (Des Moines) vs U of Iowa (Iowa City)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dbzgohan

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
A lot of people on this forum talk about how good U of Iowa IM program is. And I just assumed it was the Des Moines program. But I was talking to my some of the faculty at my med school (UTSW) and they were telling me about the program in Iowa City. So I was wandering, which one is better in terms of training, and fellowship.
Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

A lot of people on this forum talk about how good U of Iowa IM program is. And I just assumed it was the Des Moines program. But I was talking to my some of the faculty at my med school (UTSW) and they were telling me about the program in Iowa City. So I was wandering, which one is better in terms of training, and fellowship.
Thanks

Iowa City is the main program. Iowa City >> Des Moines.

Iowa City is the main program. Iowa City >> Des Moines.

more like . . . Iowa City >>>> Des Moines

Which is not to say the Des Moines program is a bad program, quite the contrary, it is in a large Methodist Hospital, all services present (including neuro sx and CT sx) - there are no fellowships, so if you are thinking about general internal medicine, you'll find great training at this program (having no fellows in the ICU means, you are the guy - patient needs a central line? You. Patient needs a chest tube? You. Patient needs intubation? You.)