U of Michigan MD or MSTP? Help!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

dilbert516

Does anyone know someone who got rejected MSTP but got accepted MD-only? Would the med school even fairly consider you?

Members don't see this ad.

MSTP is more competitive than MD and you probably shouldn't have applied because you thought it would be easier to get in. Also, do you even want to do MD/PhD?

I don't see where you would think that "MSTP would give you a better chance". They aren't just looking for researchers. They are looking for physicians. Therefore they will be looking for all of the qualities they desire in someone applying to an MD program AND the research skills that can be applied to succeed in a PhD program.

And as far as getting in MD only with an MSTP application, it depends on the school. Some will reject you and immediately consider you MD-only. etc. etc. etc. I would suggest contacting the individual schools.

Also, don't apply MSTP unless you want to be subjected to a long long road. The MD route is long enough.

Members don't see this ad :)
Worse reason to ever apply MSTP. Seriously. :confused:

If you're well qualified in research and scores and comparatively light on clinical exposure or volunteering, admissions via MSTP may give you a better chance than admissions via MD. But MD/PhD isn't anything to blink at. You should consider whether or not you want a career in academic medicine first, whether or not you know what you're getting yourself into.

I dunno about UM considering MSTP rejects for MD admissions. Some schools do it. You should call and ask.

Different schools look at MD alone and MD/Phd prospective students in various ways. I know for a fact that Michigan is very hesitant to accept someone for the MD program who was rejected from MD/PhD. They believe that MD/Phd applicants aren't likely to accept an MD alone offer and there are some questions about true intent if someone swings from MD/PhD to MD on a whim. Other schools (UCSF and Harvard come to mind) put no bias on which programs you apply to.

Regardless of this, I don't think it is a good idea switching back and forth from MD to MD/PhD to get the best chance of entering a single school. Figure out what path you really want to take and go with it.