U of Minn incoming students

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Adcadet

Long way from Gate 27
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
hey all -
just want to alert those who are coming to the U of Minnesota - Twin Cities about your very new webpage located here. If you're interested in helping to run this page, please let me know.

If you are interested in talking about issues for incoming students, feel free to ask!

Members don't see this ad.

Cool! I'm excited about the new website. I'll have to bookmark it.

Thanks for the heads up, AdCadet. I'm getting pumped for next year.

Kiernin, are you going to the U for sure next year? Anyone else out there going to revisit day on Friday?

Members don't see this ad :)
Revisit day is Firday April 30th? Ouch. That's getting pretty close to board time for second years, and the first years will be a weekend away from finals week. What you see out of the students that day then will probably about the worst. Just something to keep in mind.

It's the 23rd. I really wanted to go but I'm not going to be able to. I had already committed to a revisit at another school which is on the same day. I'm definitely going to the U of M though. I haven't found too many of us on SDN yet. I'm moving from California to Minneapolis next month.

What's up guys?

I'm probably going to UMN next year, too. I'm not 100% sure yet, though. I can't make it to the revisit day, but I look forward to hopefully meeting y'all in august.

if anybody has questions, feel free to ask.

Sorry if my question is stupid, but what is a revisit day? And can anyone go?

I would assume it's only for those that have been admitted, but I'm not sure. If you want a tour, I would assume that they're fairly easy to arrange if you're an applicant - especially since we now have a lot more student involvement. It's not like there's anything we're trying to hide.

Fairview recently bought UMN's Med School, right? How is that working? I know it was terrible for a while (I was working in Psychiatry at Riverside at the time). Between the sale and the Dr. Negarian thing, UMN slid in the ratings quite a bit. Is UMN turning around or is it still sliding?

I'm on the waitlist at Minnesota. I grew up there. I like the Twin Cities. It's inexpensive and it has a history of top tier (USNWR < 25) education. But I live in Milwaukee now, and I have a couple of good offers at other schools. I'm suddenly unsure of what to do.

Fairview bought the University Hospital, NOT the med school. So now the teaching hospital that surrounds the U of M med students is Fairview-University Medical Center (FUMC). As is bound to occur when such a thing happens, some people were screaming about the sky falling when it first happened. Now I'm not sure if it's an issue - it certainly isn't among preclinical students, and I haven't heard a thing from the MS3's and 4's I've talked with. It's still a major referral hospital for a huge geographic area and it's clear that it's connected with a major research university (one of the "Top 3 public research universities," I believe). If you don't appreciate that, there's always the VA medical center, Abbot-Northwestern Hospital, Hennepin County Medical center, and others.

Because of the Najarian "thing" (we rode the elevator together a few weeks back- so he's still around doing something or another), from what I've heard, the U of M is now considered a national leader in human subjects protection. This is a plus. Not sure if his "thing" ever affected the rankings. I think we went up a spot or two this past year. We're getting more applicants than ever, admitting "smarter" students, the latest class (not to brag) is doing fabulous compared to previous years, and the current seniors had an outsanding match. So from my perspective things are going up.

Our tuition is going up 3% next year - it went up 3% the year before. The overall U of MN is looking to go up about 12% and I would guess that many other universitites and medical schools are looking at double-digit price increases. The new-ish dean of the medical school (now she's apparently a VP of the University as well) has publicly stated that she wants to keep our tuition low so we fall back in line with most other public universities, and it looks like she's doing exactly that.

FYI about the tuition hikes: I got a letter a week or so ago saying that they are locking in tuition at the rate that you start at. This is good news, so that if that bum Pawlenty keeps cutting funding, it won't hurt the med students.

Does UMN accept alot of out of state applicants? Is it ridiculous fee's for out of state applicants? I have checked out their web page a couple times and it seems like a really nice school.

Hi All,

I'm just reviving this thread. I've finally decided I'm going to Minneapolis (well, I actually haven't heard from some schools, but whatever). Anyway, I am out of state and not familiar with the area at all. Does anyone know a good place to live? What areas are relatively close to the University, accesible by bus lines, and also interesting, eclectic neighborhoods.

Thanks for the help!!

:)

the medical frats have some distinct advantages. If I were single I'd probably be living in one. See my class webpage here and click on "Medical Fraternities" for more info.

There is family ("married") student housing. There is one on the St. Paul campus (Commonwealth Terrace) and one in Minneapolis that is half way between the two campuses (Como Student Community Coop). Both are very inexpensive but have long waiting lists, and you have to be a "family." CSCC is very nice - I highly recommend it.

Some people live at The Melrose which is very nice though a bit expensive. It's basically on campus. And there's also
The Grand Marc which is also very nice, but expensive and on the West Bank. I know med students who live at each place.

Some people live in the Macalester-Groveland area which is a cool area (though I might be biased) in St. Paul.

Otherwise, people live all over the place, from the Eastern suburbs to the Western suburbs.