U of Rochester Interview

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

blinx

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I got my first interview invite and it's at rochester - i'm pretty psyched!

For those who've interviewed there i got some questions -

Should I fly into Rochester airport or Buffalo? Which is closer? And are there free shuttle buses?

Also, what's the interview like? I hear it's pretty laid back and conversational which is cool.

Thanks - blinx

Members don't see this ad.

Hey - CONGRATS ON THE INTERVIEW!!! :clap:

I can't answer your questions, but I have one for you! :)

When was your app complete? The postcard they sent me says mine was complete on October 30th, but I haven't heard anything more.

Thanks,
Zoo

definately fly into rochester airport - its about a 8 bucks cab ride to the medical school/university/nearest hotel (hampton inn). i haven't interviewed there but the interviews are blind, so they are just assessing your personality. they are generally relaxed etc... so nothing to worry about. if you search the site you'll find more infor about rochester and their curriculum (double helix/biopsychosocial model/george engels). gluck

-jot

Members don't see this ad :)
Originally posted by Molybdenum
How's Rochester's general reputation? Is it considered a top school? Are they research-focused?

Ranked #28 in US News for research. They are researched focused.

I interviewed at Rochester in October. You should check out the interview feedback on SDN. It is a great school, it had the best facilities of all the schools I have been to. There are several hotels that you can stay at that offer shuttles to the school. The school will send you a packet. There are only 100 positions available. You should hear back from them about 1 month after you interview there.

Good luck.

Definitely fly into Rochester, the airport's right next to the school. I highly recommend staying with a student host, I did and it was great to be able to pick somebody's brain for the night before, and be able to just hang out with someone and kick back instead of being hotel-bound the night before.

The school has a decent research reputation, but it's renown for their clinical training. As someone mentioned, the facilities are great. Rochester isn't the greatest city around, but it seems nice enough. I interviewed there mid November (app was complete early September, recieved the invite in October), so I'm guessing that I'll hear any day now.

It's a great school, and it's tied with Case for my top pick right now (outta the schools I've interviewed at)--which is fitting I guess, because my interviewer told me he thought Case and Rochester were the two US med schools most alike in philosophy.

Congrats on your interview, and good luck :clap:

congrats!!! i interviewed there in november and loved the school. they have a wonderful program and everyone was really happy and nice. i had two interviews, the first was really laid back. it's closed file so he basically had me tell him everything that was in my application. the second was also pretty easy.....i got some questions about how i handed a diff situation, what i learned from certain experiences. just be yourself and they will love you!:)

thanks for the info guys - i guess rochester airport is most convenient.

And for those who asked - my file was complete on Oct 24th and i was an aug mcat'er ... so zoobaby you should probably hear something soon!

blinx

The interviews at Rochester definitely revolve somewhat around seeing how people fit into their biopsychosocial approach to medicine, so you should be familiar with their mission statement before you go up for it. The facilities are beautiful, brand new research space, lovely PBL rooms....

...but what's odd, and if you check out the AMSA survey results, they really aren't that happy/satisfied up there. My Postbac program, Bryn Mawr, has a consortial option that pipes people into it, and folks I knew from last year have been surprisingly negative about their experiences, calling some aspects of the curriculum "a waste of time". Wish I could be of more help, but definitely try and contact as many students as you can up at Rochester to get a better feeling for the pros and cons at the school for comparison to others.