U of Washington

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

swemory2007

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
There isn't much posted on here about U of Washington, but it seems to be pretty high up there in the rankings. I have been accepted to the MPH program in Epidemiology. Should I consider it? I am also considering an MPH at Michigan and an MHS at Johns Hopkins (both in Epi). What are people's thoughts?

Members don't see this ad.

UW is a great school. I did my undergrad there and worked with an epi professor on my independant projects in public health. Professors are really easy to reach and you'll find that living in Seattle is amazing!

UW is a great school. I did my undergrad there and worked with an epi professor on my independant projects in public health. Professors are really easy to reach and you'll find that living in Seattle is amazing!

With which professor did you work?

Members don't see this ad :)

I loved Seattle when I was there last summer. Can you tell me what living in Seattle is like in the winter time? I hear it rains all the time--what do you guys do all day when it rains every day?

Well, it rains a lot here, but the notions that people have of Seattle are exaggerated. It certainly isn't the case that it rains more often than it doesn't, even in the dead of winter. Even when it does rain, most of the time it's a drizzle, and thus not much more than an annoyance rather than a true inconvenience. Some people get tired of the drizzle and say that they would prefer 3 days of downpour to 10 days of light rain. I'm very used to it, so it doesn't phase me. A bigger problem, I would say, is that it is overcast and gray here 19 days out of 20 during the winter, which can get to people who move here from the southwest or other sunnier places. On the plus side, cold weather periods here are usually in the vicinity of 35 degrees, and the rare "extreme" colds are almost never more than a few degrees below freezing during the day. I'm not sure what the night-time annual lows are, but I doubt that they are below 20, and rarely that low. It's certainly colder than San Diego, but people from the midwest laugh in our faces when we claim that it's cold out. Our summers are beautiful, not unpleasantly hot for more than a handful of days (and even then only in the nineties), and not humid. PM me if you have any specific questions about Seattle. I love it here, and am desperately hoping to stay here for med school this fall. (Ah, and to align my post a bit with the theme of this thread, I'm pretty sure that I will get an MD/MPH while in school, if not here then at UNC-Chapel Hill, where I've already been accepted. Can anyone tell me about the weather there?)

thanks for your reply Chulito, it was very helpful! Funny you should mention San Diego though--I grew up in San Diego, so I definitely know that no place can possibly beat San Diego in terms of nice weather.

On another note...has anyone heard back from programs other than epi? Anyone apply to SBS?

i was just admitted to UW SBS program yesterday via email.

it sounds like a very small program... anyone already at the UW MPH program and have any comments on the SBS track?

sorry for the long delay in reply. i just flew over from DC to Seattle today and have been busy getting ready for my short but sweet visit back home... To anwser the question of who I worked with, i was fortunate to have worked with Dr. Jonathan Mayer, he was my advisor in my independant public health project during my undergrad at the UW...he's in the Epi dept and has adjunct faculty positions in each public health school from what i know..

living in Seattle is great...today it's 65ish outside and it feels spectacular (coming from DC where it was 20 degrees with a windchill that made it feel like -10 this morning)..people are really great and the rain doesn't bother you too much. great learning enviroment with a lot of opportunities to do both underserved and international work. quite a bit of funding i would say and have Mr. Bill Gates next door doesn't hurt :)