Johns Hopkins University vs. University of Washington for MS in Epidemiology

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SnowInVenice

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was accepted into the MS/MSc in Epidemiology programs at both the University of Washington (out-of-state) and Johns Hopkins University and would like more insight before deciding between the two. JHU offered me a scholarship, but I won't hear from UW about financial aid for another 2-3 weeks. The program costs would be roughly similar after adjusting for the scholarship and living costs at about $55k/year before federal loans. Alternatively, I could stay at my in-state university for $29k/year before federal loans, but it is mid-tier and doesn't have much faculty expertise in my field of interest (infectious disease epidemiology/vector-borne and zoonotic diseases in academia). While both programs are highly ranked, JHU's name seems to have more weight, however, I know I would feel happiest living in Seattle. Could anyone shed some light on these programs or provide advice regarding if JHU is worth taking on so much debt? Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.