*U Penn Class of 2009!*

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ajt2003

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've always wanted to start one of these!

My life's purpose is now fulfilled. :p

Anyway, who thinks they're going?

Members don't see this ad.

congrats ajt!! now you can see f* you columbia!!

(both rejected my ass..... :oops: )

I think we should start a thread that has catagories like "accepted w/ merit $", "accepted", "wait list tier 1 w/ penn tab", wait list tier 1 w/ no penn tab but still 'very interested' message", "waitlist tier 1 with continuing interest message", "tier 2 waitlist", "rejected?" just for kicks lol

Members don't see this ad :)
Umm...I withdrew my application from U Penn.

Can I join this thread anyways?

Tra La La said:
Umm...I withdrew my application from U Penn.

Can I join this thread anyways?

Yes. We're a friendly bunch.

ajt2003 said:
:thumbup:

Seriously, though--CONGRATULATIONS!!! :)

Good chance I'll be there =) Cornell is still very exciting as well- but either way I'll see you all at the second look weekend- and congrats to all! Yay =)

ajt2003 said:
I've always wanted to start one of these!

My life's purpose is now fulfilled. :p

Anyway, who thinks they're going?

I am definitely going. There are a few logistics to consider but I am 55% sure I am going. The other 45% is up to Duke. But I am so happy, it is unreal. Now, all I need is a UPenn med school sweatshirt. I can buy one online, right?

GuyLaroche said:
I am definitely going. There are a few logistics to consider but I am 55% sure I am going. The other 45% is up to Duke. But I am so happy, it is unreal. Now, all I need is a UPenn med school sweatshirt. I can buy one online, right?

Try this!

Hi all :) Um (kinda shy),...Can I join?

I am not 100 percent Penn yet. Like GuyLaroche, I'm more 55%-ish. But I wanted to say 'hey'. :)

Also, I just wanted to throw out the offer that if anyone wants more Philly info, I live there (off-campus/non-student) and I'd be happy to answer questions about the area.

See you Preview weekend!

ajt2003 said:
:laugh:
You thought I was being serious. This was a jab at a post I read somewhere. Thanks anway. By the way, I'm excited about getting to meet you. Albeit I should warn you that I am no Tyra fan.

I am definitely going!!! YAYYY for Upenn.... now I must start the housing/roomate search!

GuyLaroche said:
:laugh:
You thought I was being serious. This was a jab at a post I read somewhere. Thanks anway. By the way, I'm excited about getting to meet you. Albeit I should warn you that I am no Tyra fan.

Ah...I see. I think I let my giddiness get the better of me.

Looking forward to meeting you, too!

Not a Tyra fan? That's fine. To be honest, I just like her alienesque looks and hilarious programming. Seriously, ANTM is some funny ****...

Members don't see this ad :)
UPenn has always been my top choice med school, but I'm going to give Harvard and Baylor a chance.

Can't wait to meet you all at Penn Preview (will also be my 22nd on April 29th, so we'll have to go out drinking or something to celebrate!)

:) :) :) :)

Excited to have been accepted, Im deciding between Penn and Columbia, I loved Penn but its so far from my family and I enjoy them. Anyone else feel like this is the hardest decision theve had to make??

msafain said:
Excited to have been accepted, Im deciding between Penn and Columbia, I loved Penn but its so far from my family and I enjoy them. Anyone else feel like this is the hardest decision theve had to make??

Not such a difficult decision for me! I'm from PA and so excited! Good luck w/ your decision :)

ajt2003 said:

What about people who are in purgatory between waitlist and acceptance, but are attending Penn Preview? Okay to post? :)

Unless something extraordinary happens at another school's revisit weekend that lures me away, I'll definately be attending Penn (MSTP), so I'll see you all at Penn Preview. :)

Mateodaspy said:
Can't wait to meet you all at Penn Preview (will also be my 22nd on April 29th, so we'll have to go out drinking or something to celebrate!)

Mateo, if I meet you at Penn Preview, I'll buy you a drink. :thumbup:

Mateodaspy said:
UPenn has always been my top choice med school, but I'm going to give Harvard and Baylor a chance.

:) :) :) :)

Aww, I'll buy you a shot if we meet!

hey guys.

i got accepted to Penn too. i am pretty sure i'll enroll since it is my first choice.

see ya all at the preview days.

I'm really excited! I am almost positive I will be at U Penn next year. I look forward to meeting you guys :)

rugirlie said:
Aww, I'll buy you a shot if we meet!

Haha, I'd better make sure I get all the names of those offering to buy me drinks so I can track you down when I get there! ;) ;)

For those of you going to Penn Preview, when are you going? The schedule says things start Thursday morning and go until Saturday night, so are most people going wed to sunday or thursday to saturday???

kimmer579 said:
For those of you going to Penn Preview, when are you going? The schedule says things start Thursday morning and go until Saturday night, so are most people going wed to sunday or thursday to saturday???

I'm planning to arrive Thursday evening ~7pm and leave Sunday morning. I'm sad I can't be there for all of Thursday, but it's also my last day of class, and unfortunately my senioritis only affects motivation to work....and not tendencies towards guilt. :p

did anyone get their acceptance packets in the mail yet?

if so, include your state, perm or preferred addy, and contents of packet =)

I got my packet today.. I'm in jersey :) And I didn't see it yet, my roomie read it to me over the phone, but it seems like basically everything you can get online with the exception of the health requirements... like what immunizations you need and so forth. However, in your case, (I think?) there will prob be merit money info too! hehe congrats!

95.5% sure I'm going to Penn MSTP. Looking forward to meeting all of you at Penn preview.

Technically I'm not class of 2009 though. More like ~2013

Anyone else driving in for penn preview? They said parking will be limited, so I'm wondering if there is guaranteed parking somewhere (won't mind riding a shuttle if need be).

Add me to the list because I now consider myself a Quaker! :cool: UPenn has been my number one dream school since I decided to apply and I am thrilled to join the UPenn Class of 2009! I look forward to meeting everyone at PennPreview.

microTAS said:
Anyone else driving in for penn preview? They said parking will be limited, so I'm wondering if there is guaranteed parking somewhere (won't mind riding a shuttle if need be).

I'll be flying down for Penn Preview, but I drove to the interview. I don't know what hotel we'll be at, but if it happens to be the Inn at Penn again, what ever you do, do NOT park there...it's freaking expensive! I was greated with a $50 parking bill at checkout. :eek:

I still haven't gotten my waitlist letter to fla yet! I'm glad that they show us online!

javert said:
I'll be flying down for Penn Preview, but I drove to the interview. I don't know what hotel we'll be at, but if it happens to be the Inn at Penn again, what ever you do, do NOT park there...it's freaking expensive! I was greated with a $50 parking bill at checkout. :eek:

Lovely :p Although I was under the impression that for penn preview, they put everyone up with student hosts... (unless you're MSTP and they do something different during preview for you guys?)

Has everyone got their acceptance packets? New Haven isn't that far from Philadelphia...

sockandmittens said:
Has everyone got their acceptance packets? New Haven isn't that far from Philadelphia...

Yup. And a bunch of my friends (all in NYC) received correspondence from Penn late last week...

sockandmittens said:

Maybe you should call them just in case it got lost in the mail....

bidster said:
Lovely :p Although I was under the impression that for penn preview, they put everyone up with student hosts... (unless you're MSTP and they do something different during preview for you guys?)

I figured we would be staying with hosts, but for some reason I thought I saw something about hotel reservations on the website, but I checked again and I must have been imagining things. So, yeah, I agree with you...student hosts.

kimmer579 said:

I'm planning on flying in early Thursday. Does anyone know how far the airport is to campus (ie. how much a cab would cost?). Any shuttles to the school?

Skichic56 said:
I'm planning on flying in early Thursday. Does anyone know how far the airport is to campus (ie. how much a cab would cost?). Any shuttles to the school?

I remember the cab ride to be ~15 min for $20. As for shuttle, there is the Lady Liberty shuttle that usually goes every 30 min for $8.

ok i got my waitlist letter today and it says "top of tier 1" even tho i didnt get the penn preview info so im clearly not at the top ;)
oy, the mickey mouse games they play lol

Skichic56 said:

I had the exact same experience as mictoTas--~18-20$ for a cab to walnut street. I had wanted to take the SEPTA train that takes you from your airport terminal to the 30th street station (close to where my host lived) for ~6$, but it only comes every 30 minutes and I missed it by like 2 minutes, so I just took a cab out of impatience. But if you can catch the septa train, there's also a stop for University City which apparently is even closer to Penn than the one at 30th street.

Skichic56 said:

Skichic, I love your signature! Can I copy it? It's so artsy and pretty!

ajt2003 said:
Skichic, I love your signature! Can I copy it? It's so artsy and pretty!

Sure! That's about as artsy as I get :) Thanks everyone for the transportation info.

has anyone that was on tier 1 waitlist but did not have a penn preview tab been invited to penn preview yet?

microTAS said:
I remember the cab ride to be ~15 min for $20. As for shuttle, there is the Lady Liberty shuttle that usually goes every 30 min for $8.

R1 rail, which takes you from the airport right to the campus. fare = 5.50$ one way. Train leaves every 1/2 hr. Welcome to Penn. :D

I don't mean to hijak, but has anyone heard anything about their Penn financial aid package? I've been complete since 3/22 and have been checking my status online...just wondering if I should chill. I probably should. It's just that, well, money stresses me out.

1111gal, one of my good friends is waitlisted too, but hasn't heard anything about Penn Preview (and she's in high demand elsewhere - Harvard, Wash U, Cornell, etc.). But that's just one case. I would call and ask someone in the office of admission. They're *usually* nice enough.

ajt2003 said:
I don't mean to hijak, but has anyone heard anything about their Penn financial aid package? I've been complete since 3/22 and have been checking my status online...just wondering if I should chill. I probably should. It's just that, well, money stresses me out.

1111gal, one of my good friends is waitlisted too, but hasn't heard anything about Penn Preview (and she's in high demand elsewhere - Harvard, Wash U, Cornell, etc.). But that's just one case. I would call and ask someone in the office of admission. They're *usually* nice enough.

Called the financial aid office today and they said would not be making decisions until at least april 20th.

I'm actually revisiting twice. Going tomorrow to talk to 6 faculty members i'd like to do research with, then returning for PennPreview.

I'm 50/50 between Penn and Hopkins so you know I'll see ya'll at revisit.

I know this is a lame question but I am going to ask anyways because I have been thinking about it lately. What are you all planning on wearing to Penn Preview? I am asking in general terms here. We will be meeting the different deans, going to clinical sites (Covenant House/Project Salud), having dinner, etc. Are you planning on wearing business attire like at the interview or just go casual. I can't imagine wearing a suit but I want to know what everyone else is thinking on the subject. Thanks for the help!

Oh and by the way, it's going to be great meeting all of you and coming to the reality that we will be attending PennMed! :D

Snowbird said:
I know this is a lame question but I am going to ask anyways because I have been thinking about it lately. What are you all planning on wearing to Penn Preview? I am asking in general terms here. We will be meeting the different deans, going to clinical sites (Covenant House/Project Salud), having dinner, etc. Are you planning on wearing business attire like at the interview or just go casual. I can't imagine wearing a suit but I want to know what everyone else is thinking on the subject. Thanks for the help!

Oh and by the way, it's going to be great meeting all of you and coming to the reality that we will be attending PennMed! :D

I don't really know what to bring to wear either.... I was thinking casual but nice looking. Do you think jeans are okay?? Has anyone heard from the student that is hosting them yet?