SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

U Penn competitiveness

Discussion in 'Psychiatry' started by thuglife077, May 7, 2008.

1. thuglife077

Mar 6, 2008
    University of Pennsylvania psych program is at the top of the list in NIH money and research. However it seems to be less competitive than some programs in the NYC ???
    Does someone like me with average grades (P in Psych) and 230 on Step I have a chance of getting in there?

Any advise on resident life, teaching quality, etc. from the current residents?

2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. cleareyedguy

cleareyedguy Junior Member 10+ Year Member

Nov 26, 2005
    It'll depend on the usual variables: your other grades, comments, research, randomness, letters, and--if you get one--interview. If you have a specific reason to go there--Philadelphia itself isn't enough of a reason, since there are other good programs there--then you should consider spending a month there on an elective and demonstrating your interest/competence.

Oh, and you might consider not using "thuglife" anywhere on your application.
  4. HCE

HCE 7+ Year Member

Jan 26, 2007

My understanding is that you can have a 260 Step 1, worked 5 years in Kenya as a volunteer, and cured cancer, but you're out of luck for an interview at UPenn if you're an Osteopathic student.