U Pitt

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mjoo

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Any thoughts on this program? It's big, the hospital has LOTS of $$$, great resident work hours. What's the catch? Is it strong?

Members don't see this ad.

mjoo said:
Any thoughts on this program? It's big, the hospital has LOTS of $$$, great resident work hours. What's the catch? Is it strong?

First of all, I have been out of the residency mode for a few years now but my program at Univ. of New Mexico was full of transplants from Pitts. They came to UNM after Pitt dropped their residency program and went to training crna's. I'm am not sure why they dropped the program or when they actually started it back up again. From the way those at UNM talked about Pitt, it sounded like a great program at the time. Now all of this info is coming from some time ago and may even be a little off but the general idea is there. I would be interested in hearing how the program is these days from someone with more recent info.

when interviewers ask where i've interviewed and i mention UPitt, they seem to think that its one of the better midwest programs. i've interviewed at 8 anesthesia programs so far in the midwest, and the pitt residents were by far the happiest. don't know if that necessarily correlates with it being a good program, but they work around 50 hours a week and supposedly finish all requirements before starting CA-3 year. hope that helps.

Members don't see this ad :)
:laugh: I've never really thought of or heard Pittsburgh referred to as the Midwest. I guess its sort of true though. Pitt has a great reputation within the city of Pittsburgh, that much I know.

hermione said:
:laugh: I've never really thought of or heard Pittsburgh referred to as the Midwest. I guess its sort of true though. Pitt has a great reputation within the city of Pittsburgh, that much I know.

well we aren't exactly east coast. :(

i think we are probably the first city that can be considered "midwest" though i always prefer "north central mid-atlantic ohio valley region".

From what I saw this year it is tremendously well rounded with very happy residents./ Any other comments?

I interviewed there last year and I came away with 2 impressions:

1) there were a bazillion faculty and something like 7 rotation sites; I got the feeling it was hard to get to know any faculty really well because you'd rarely work with the same ones. And it seems like you'd never be at the same site long enough to get to know your peers.

2) their leadership was in a state of flux. The PD was apparently becoming ill and the thought was she'd be stepping down.

These were impressions, and I'm sure people who go there would be happy to counter them if they are not accurate.

cchoukal said:
I interviewed there last year and I came away with 2 impressions:

1) there were a bazillion faculty and something like 7 rotation sites; I got the feeling it was hard to get to know any faculty really well because you'd rarely work with the same ones. And it seems like you'd never be at the same site long enough to get to know your peers.

2) their leadership was in a state of flux. The PD was apparently becoming ill and the thought was she'd be stepping down.

These were impressions, and I'm sure people who go there would be happy to counter them if they are not accurate.

-- 1) we do rotate through 7 different sites and there are a lot of attendings that we work with at the different sites. there are certain hospitals that we rotate through more frequently and i feel that i do get to know the attendings pretty well. i actually like rotating through so many different places...taught me to be flexible, see how different places do things.

-- 2) don't know where this is coming from.

-- overall happy with the program. on average i've put in between 40-50 hrs/week depending on what rotation i'm on. most of the time higher 40's to lower 50's/week. when on call, you don't come in until 3pm and leave at 7 am. any questions, feel free to pm me.