U.S high school Senior

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hydprince4u

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi folks
I am a high school senior from USA and I am intending to apply to Irish medical school.
I have a G.P.A of 3.2 and a SAT Scores of 880, i took the sat again and i hope my scores would increase tremendously. I have high school credits and as well some college as I did dual enrollment, I have some A.P classes and alomost ever other is honors except the electives like p.e etc.

I will be applying by the end of this week and I would need your moral support, so please tell me what you guyz think from your experience that I will get accepeted or not??

I guess no one cares to reply.....
:(

Members don't see this ad.

To be honest, I'm not really sure we know exactly. The criteria for high school students would be different and I'm not quite sure how much they factor SAT scores in. Perhaps you could ask Atlantic Bridge that. But since you've done quite a lot of APs and college-credit classes, particularly if you've done well in them, they would look at that favorably...

I'm not writing to hurt your feelings, but since this is an anonymous forum I'll just give it to you straight. If you had a 3.2 and a 880, you should probably be looking at community college not medical school. I had a 3.95 and 1500 and found medical school f-n hard! Good luck to you and everything, but medical school is not for everyone. Maybe if you go to college and work really hard, you'll be able to improve academically and think about medical school then.(?)
I know I sound like an a-hole, but that's :thumbup: the truth.

Members don't see this ad :)
hydprince4u said:
Hi folks
I am a high school senior from USA and I am intending to apply to Irish medical school.
I have a G.P.A of 3.2 and a SAT Scores of 880, i took the sat again and i hope my scores would increase tremendously. I have high school credits and as well some college as I did dual enrollment, I have some A.P classes and alomost ever other is honors except the electives like p.e etc.

I will be applying by the end of this week and I would need your moral support, so please tell me what you guyz think from your experience that I will get accepeted or not??

I guess no one cares to reply.....
:(

I've no idea whether you'll be accepted or not, but if there's one thing I've learned there's no harm in applying. The worst they can say is no. And don't worry about your academic abilities not being able to cut it at medical school. People make medicine out to be far harder than it actually is. Good luck! :)

I'd just apply as well and see what happens...but student.ie is right to some degree. While those of us in it and doing alright in it don't see it as being the hardest thing in the world (just volume), there are some people, usually the ones who came with not-so-good GPAs/MCATs/scores that are the ones who consistently fail multiple subjects, and it seems have to work way harder and way longer than everyone else to achieve the same level of understanding. Doing an undergrad degree is a good prognosis in how you will learn in medical school, or at least give more time to develop the correct kind of study ethic. Someone who's not exactly cutting it in high school may flounder if jumping straight into medicine. Completing and doing well in undergrad first may be helpful.

student.ie said:
I'm not writing to hurt your feelings, but since this is an anonymous forum I'll just give it to you straight. If you had a 3.2 and a 880, you should probably be looking at community college not medical school. I had a 3.95 and 1500 and found medical school f-n hard! Good luck to you and everything, but medical school is not for everyone. Maybe if you go to college and work really hard, you'll be able to improve academically and think about medical school then.(?)
I know I sound like an a-hole, but that's :thumbup: the truth.

Dude...don't listen to this guy...I had similar grades in high school and started college off with a weak GPA and made it into med school when some of my advisors told me the same thing, "maybe you should consider another profession" blah blah blah. I graduated cum laude from college, got into a good med school, which BY THE WAY IS THE HARDEST PART OF THE WHOLE PROCESS. If you don't get into an Irish school now, work hard to get into a good college and do well. The SKY IS THE LIMIT. You only get what you settle for in life. You are way early in your journey...keep fightin' the good fight!! :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

Xclamp said:
Dude...don't listen to this guy...I had similar grades in high school and started college off with a weak GPA and made it into med school when some of my advisors told me the same thing, "maybe you should consider another profession" blah blah blah. I graduated cum laude from college, got into a good med school, which BY THE WAY IS THE HARDEST PART OF THE WHOLE PROCESS. If you don't get into an Irish school now, work hard to get into a good college and do well. The SKY IS THE LIMIT. You only get what you settle for in life. You are way early in your journey...keep fightin' the good fight!! :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

Maybe you should read his post and see that he's planning on going to Irish medical school now, not after college. d a
A. He won't get into medical school this year, so there's no since lying about it.
B. I already encouraged him to try hard in college and see how it goes with medical school applications in 3-4 years.
So what shouldn't he listen to?