U Toronto Students...plz answer.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

shangul

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Im gonna start going to UofToronto this Sept.
I will be taking the UofT:
-Org Chem = CHM138 (1 Semester)
-Gen Chem = CHM 139 (1 Semester)
-Biology = BIO 150 (2 Semesters)
2)) Are these courses going to prepare me for the chem and bio questions on PCAT?
thanks

Members don't see this ad.

All you need are the first year science courses. After finishing first year, you should select a few review books to prepare for the PCAT. Thats what I'm doing.

I'm not a UofT student, but I'm going to apply to Pharmacy at UofT next year.

i suggest taking the full class or near almost all of it. if going by what the other guy said you can technically not take any class and do well on the test, granted that is possible but who here can say they grasp concept the first time esp in a limited time?

i suggest taking the full class or near almost all of it. if going by what the other guy said you can technically not take any class and do well on the test, granted that is possible but who here can say they grasp concept the first time esp in a limited time?

Actually, if you read my post and then read yours again, you'll realize that my post makes much more sense. In fact, your post is extremely ambiguous.

I think you must be confused by the UofT curriculum, the courses he referred to in his post are all first year courses. If you read my post carefully, this is what I said he should take:

All you need are the first year science courses. After finishing first year, you should select a few review books to prepare for the PCAT.
First year science courses:

-CHM138 (1st Semester)
-CHM 139 (2nd Semester)
-BIO 150 (2 Semesters)
-
MAT135Y (2 semesters)
-Elective

Review Books:
-KAPLAN PCAT
-ExamKrackers MCAT (Chem)
-Harcourt Practice Tests

PS: I haven't written the PCAT yet, so I don't know if this is a winning formula; however, I do scan through threads made about the PCAT, and there seems to be a consensus among SDN members that this is what you need.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
twilight z...
I did understand what you said. Since you are not going to UToronto, I am not 100% sure if what you are saying is the case...but thanks very much for the post :)

I don't want the other guy to ever be my pharmacist... No matter how right he may be, he's speaking chenglish here.
((To the other guy: at least take the time to read over what you typed :confused: ... please... if you can please clarify :))

For bio on the PCAT, maybe first year biology (BIO150) probably won't be enough. You'll be fine on the ecology parts (and most of the cell biology on the PCAT should be high school level), but you'll be missing out a lot on the microbiology, anatomy, and physiology which you could gain from courses like PSL302, which you can't take until at least second year. Kaplan guide does a decent job of covering those areas though so if you feel confident in your understanding of the material then you can get by with first year courses.

And also note that starting from the 2010 admission cycle, U of T Pharmacy requires a lot of additional courses for admission like chm247, chm220, and sta220. Read the website.

For bio on the PCAT, maybe first year biology (BIO150) probably won't be enough. You'll be fine on the ecology parts (and most of the cell biology on the PCAT should be high school level), but you'll be missing out a lot on the microbiology, anatomy, and physiology which you could gain from courses like PSL302, which you can't take until at least second year. Kaplan guide does a decent job of covering those areas though so if you feel confident in your understanding of the material then you can get by with first year courses.

And also note that starting from the 2010 admission cycle, U of T Pharmacy requires a lot of additional courses for admission like chm247, chm220, and sta220. Read the website.

Thanks very much Mug3n,
I don't know what the point of this bio 150 is... it's useless... most school want Cellular/Molecular Bio. I can't wait to take the second year courses and then take the PCAT.
As for the Kaplan guide you were referring to, could you please tell me which book it is specifically?
thanks

I think in the new year actually, starting next year, bio150 would be split into 2 half courses because I think they're starting to realize that a full year of ecology and evolutionary bio as a prerequisite to cell biology (which is bio250) is just ridiculous. So you'd only need 1 half 100-level bio course to take bio240 (which is now the first half of bio250). I think that's how it works at least, you might wanna take a look at http://artsci.utoronto.ca to find out the prerequisites and stuff you'll need for it.

It's the Kaplan PCAT 2008-2009: Pharmacy College Admission Test. A more specific search would be using the ISBN number 1419551558.

mug3n,
Yes, bio150 is just crap... and nonsensical.
As for PCAT, I was just wondering if have you taken the test yet. I was looking at the bio section of it a few days ago (a PCAT prep book form library) and the BIO section didn't seem to be as advanced as 2nd year Univ BIO course like the (BIO 240/241). Are you sure we need to know more than BIO 150 for PCAT.
I wonder why is it that UofT and other Canadian Pharm schools allow you to take PCAT and enter Pharmacy college right after the first year of University science... Please note that if you want to do so... you need to take the PCAT(the latest during the Fall term of your 1st year of Science at University.). SO I think that PCAT mostly test you on what you learn in High school BIO and Chem.
what do you guys think... ? let me know

Yes, I have taken the PCAT. The June one this year. And I know for a fact that high school isn't enough to get you through the PCAT.

And yes, you will definitely need more than BIO150 for the PCAT, as ecology is partly what's covered in the PCAT but nowhere near fully covered. Anatomy, physiology, microbiology, and cell biology are not even touched upon in BIO150. If you think high school materials is enough to get you by the PCAT, there's no way - you'd get killed in biology, chemistry (high school does NOT have a sufficient coverage in organic chemistry, though you may get by on the general chem - PCAT is about 50/50 organic/general, slightly more general), and some of the quantitative questions which involves the use of calculus.

You probably won't need BIO240/BIO241 for the PCAT because I think a study guide can get you through the cell biology stuff and cell bio is nowhere near as advanced as the second-year BIO course on the PCAT. But to learn anatomy, physiology, etc from scratch just from a PCAT study book is kind of tough IMO.

It even says on the U of T Pharmacy website that they recommend higher-level courses in order to have the knowledge for the PCAT. Read here: http://www.pharmacy.utoronto.ca/undergrad/admis/sec7.jsp#20

And just so you're aware, U of T Pharmacy is comtemplating changing the admission requirements for 2010 such as you need at least 2 years of university before you can get in (additional courses they're thinking about: CHM220, CHM247, and STA220 on top of all the requirements they already want so that makes applying for pharmacy straight from first year impossible).

By the way, for each admission year, U of T also accepts the October and January PCATs. So if you're applying for the 2009 cycle, any results since 2007 (I think) to January 2009 are completely valid. So you're incorrect in saying that you have to take it in the fall.

Last edited:
By the way, for each admission year, U of T also accepts the October and January PCATs. So if you're applying for the 2009 cycle, any results since 2007 (I think) to January 2009 are completely valid. So you're incorrect in saying that you have to take it in the fall.
Hey mug3n, are you sure the January PCAT counts in the 2009 admissions cycle? I've been trying to reach the pharmacy admissions office at UofT and couldn't get a hold of anybody; also, the voice mail is full, so you can't even record a message.

Can you please confirm that the January PCAT counts for the 2009 admission cycle, that would be greatly appreciated!

*sigh*. A little bit of reading goes a long way... it's surprising, the amount of info you can get just by reading the OFFICIAL website, huh :rolleyes:

http://www.pharmacy.utoronto.ca/undergrad/admis/sec3.jsp

The remaining test dates and deadlines valid for the 2009 admission cycle are:
October 18, 2008 (Regular online registration deadline 8:59 PM ET September 5, 2008*)
January 24, 2009 (Regular online registration deadline 8:59 PM ET December 12, 2008*)
*Note that the registration deadline for paper applications, special test locations, requests for non-Saturday administration and special accommodation is August 8, 2008 for the October 18, 2008 test and November 14, 2008 for the January 24, 2009 test)

PCAT scores for test administrations occurring between June 2007 and January 2009 will be accepted for the 2009 admission cycle.

Last edited: