U-World Review Strategies

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cwb

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
How does everyone review their questions in U-world? I want to take time to go over the answers but it seems to take me an eternity to do so - almost to the point that it doesn't seem HY. Does anyone have any strategies for maximizing what I get out of U-World? Any help would be greatly appreciated - I'm not that efficient of a studier when left to my own devices and the tips/hints on this board so far have been a lifesaver...

Members don't see this ad.

sometimes i used to short cut only to the questions i got wrong and just read their explanations and understand why i got them wrong, try doing this

i would love to take notes on certain questions, but it's a pain to try to get two computers to do so. argh :mad:

I was taking forever to read the answers, so I stopped doing mixed questions. The thing that was taking me forever, was finding where I was supposed to write the answer in First Aid. If I limit the subject matter, then I get more comfortable with the sections in first aid and reading the answers and annotating goes a lot faster.

Members don't see this ad :)
It takes a damn eon to break the uworld tests down. i allow one hour for the test and two to break it down. my FA is filled to the brim with crap. up until recently I was doing tests by subject so it was much easier to annotate FA, but now I'm doing random (as the exam date approaches I want to be ready for any stupid subject they throw at me) and it's taking way longer to annotate. For me it's important, but if it's taking you too long, then it might not be high yield enough. the best strategy is to put in 16 hour days like me. that way you'll lose your mind, become estranged from friends and loved ones, and contemplate jumping off a bridge nine out of every ten minutes a day.

def only go over the ones u got wrong...i would rather do more questions, or review weak topics than double check things i got right.

How does everyone review their questions in U-world? I want to take time to go over the answers but it seems to take me an eternity to do so - almost to the point that it doesn't seem HY. Does anyone have any strategies for maximizing what I get out of U-World? Any help would be greatly appreciated - I'm not that efficient of a studier when left to my own devices and the tips/hints on this board so far have been a lifesaver...

I'm going to go against the crowd on this one and say that it's been (I think) worth it for me to at least look at the explanations for every question, even when I knew the answer.

One thing that has really impressed me about UWorld (and that I also liked about BSS and the Robbin's qbook) is that in the explanations they not only go over why the correct answer was correct, but also they tell you what would have been in the stem if the other answer choices had been correct.

For me personally, I often get down to 2-3 choices and have a tough choice between them, but after reading the explanations I feel I'd do better with a similar question in the future now that I know the piece of information that separated my choice from the other, independent of whether I got the answer right or not.

Also, for me the time isn't as big a deal, so that may be clouding my judgment; I can typically get through a set of questions and do the explanations in ~70 mins if I focus, or 90 mins if I take my time/get distracted. For the amount of learning I get, it's worth it.

I'm going to go against the crowd on this one and say that it's been (I think) worth it for me to at least look at the explanations for every question, even when I knew the answer.

I agree. I think it all depends on how you are using UW though. I am using it as a learning tool not a quiz tool- so I'm I do everything in tutor mode and by subject. I have Kaplan for timed quizzes and when pressed for time I focus on the questions I got wrong in Kaplan. I also flag questions while I am taking the exam that even though I might know the right answer I want to read the choices. (For instance if there is a drug I don't know that I want to read about).

I love UWs explanations. They have def filled my FA too. If you are really pressed for time, you might try just reading the educational objectives for the ones you got right. Just my thoughts. Good luck!

One thing that has really impressed me about UWorld (and that I also liked about BSS and the Robbin's qbook) is that in the explanations they not only go over why the correct answer was correct, but also they tell you what would have been in the stem if the other answer choices had been correct.

For me personally, I often get down to 2-3 choices and have a tough choice between them, but after reading the explanations I feel I'd do better with a similar question in the future now that I know the piece of information that separated my choice from the other, independent of whether I got the answer right or not.

Also, for me the time isn't as big a deal, so that may be clouding my judgment; I can typically get through a set of questions and do the explanations in ~70 mins if I focus, or 90 mins if I take my time/get distracted. For the amount of learning I get, it's worth it.

I completely agree. Although, it typically takes me about 2 hours to do 50 questions, then thoroughly review them. I personally think it's completely worth it, but I guess we'll see...:eek:

I think it also depends on how well you are doing ..if you are consistently getting 70-80s..reading the ones you got wrong may be enough..but if you are like me..and are getting the 50-60s then reading the ones you got right and wrong is prolly the better choice.

what i have been doing is getting up every morning at 6am and going straight to my desk to do 50 UWorld problems (after 10min of showering, etc.). It takes me until about 7:15am to finish the section. I then allow myself one hour to go over as many problems as I can, while annotating on a separate sheet of paper. What has helped me has been to create a single word document in note taker where i have different tabs for each subject. I then type up any notes and make tables from Uworld on any facts that I don't know.

I only allow myself one hour--this usually allows me to get through 20 of the 50 problems. I then move on to my reading for the day. When I get tired of reading (usually around lunch time), I allow myself another hour to go through the remaining problems. If I still don't finish, I allow one more hour at night before I go to bed.

I think splitting up going through the problems has really worked for me. It takes forever to really go through 50 questions and since I still have 6 weeks until test time, I really want to work through the problems thoroughly now.

I have learned a ton from UWorld, and I really believe it's from thoroughly working through the answers and looking up things that I did not know.

Having everything in one word document organized with tabs has also been extremely helpful.