Uacp

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

apharm

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone applied or enrolled?

Members don't see this ad.

I am in the process of applying.

sent in pharmcas application on 8/14..supplemental on 8/15. i will go there if thats the only place i get in but its in the middle of nowhere and its really expensive. maybe its a good sign nobody is really interested in it though...i know a guy last year that got in with a 2.5 gpa and 60 on the pcat. :) gave me hope.

Members don't see this ad :)
sent in pharmcas application on 8/14..supplemental on 8/15. i will go there if thats the only place i get in but its in the middle of nowhere and its really expensive. maybe its a good sign nobody is really interested in it though...i know a guy last year that got in with a 2.5 gpa and 60 on the pcat. :) gave me hope.

i think they received 900 some apps last year.

i think they received 900 some apps last year.

I don't think they recieved that many, but if they did a lot of people accepted decline because it is in the middle of nowhere.

oh yeah does anyone know a current student here? i cant find the guy from campbell that went there...i would like to ask about the curriculum and how well the professors teach. some things you just cant find out in an interview or orientation... i want to hear it from the students who are actually taking classes

Well I am in the process of applying....started the PharmCas app. and I take the PCAT in Oct. Alot of people don't want to go there because of the area and it being "in the middle of nowhere" but I am from around that area (Bluefield/Tazewell) and I want to stay close to home. I graduated with a Pre-Med degree and a 3.5 GPA. I'm not too excited about the PCAT though...can't get in the mindset to study! lol But I miss being in school and can't wait to get back.

UACP did receive 957 apps last year according to the students that i have spoken to, the reason you would want to go to the school in the middle of "no where" is for an education not a party school!! I would not assume that anyone would tell something that was not true, just to make something up, and its common sense that anyone is going to go to their first choice if given the opportunity, but that gives us wait listed people a chance to get in. Just my point of view.:idea:

I'm currently attending UACP (University of Appalachia College of Pharmacy) in Oakwood, VA (I think most places list it as Grundy, VA). I just started in August, but I can tell you that I really enjoy it so far and I didn't think I would. They actually do accept alot of students that are from the area, and they even say this on the website (www.uacp.org), so that is a bonus for students interested in applying that are from the Appalachian area.

As far as the professors are concerned, they are all very well qualified and thus far the expectations have been very high. Obviously every professor has their own style, so I can't really comment on "how" they teach, but I will say I think the difficulty level is what should be expected for a 3-year accelerated program. As it was said at my interview, "it's not for the faint of heart," I can now understand that, because the blocks go by very quickly and you have to keep up every day, but I'm sure it's like this to some degree at every pharmacy school.

I would say the best thing about it so far is that all the professors are very available to help you with anything and everything you need help with. If you are looking for a smaller school (like I was) where you aren't just a nameless face, this is definitely that kind of place. The class size isn't very big and everyone pretty well knows everyone else.

If you want some other information, just feel free to reply here or drop a PM. Good luck to all those applying!

i know most pharmacy schools encourage students to apply early and im just wondering if i applied early enough (8/14) to be considered with a low GPA and a shaky PCAT (74)? i have spoken with sherrie baldwin several times and she seemed really nice so that was def. a positive! some schools will not even bother replying to messages or phone calls....

Applying early is always the best bet at any school, for sure. And yeah, Sherrie is really nice, and that's another thing I like about the area in general, the people really appreciate the students and what they do in the community. That's one reason why the community service hours are a graduation requirement, since the population in the area is very underserved by healthcare professionals.

UACP did receive 957 apps last year according to the students that i have spoken to, the reason you would want to go to the school in the middle of "no where" is for an education not a party school!! I would not assume that anyone would tell something that was not true, just to make something up, and its common sense that anyone is going to go to their first choice if given the opportunity, but that gives us wait listed people a chance to get in. Just my point of view.:idea:

I didn't mean to imply that someone lied. I didn't belive that they recieved 900 apps because I talked to a lady from University of Houston and they recieved 700 last year and since UofH is more well known I would think they would recieve more. Now I'm nervous. The only thing that is stopping me from turning in my application is the rec letters from two of my teachers. I need to find a nice way to tell them to HURRY UP lol:laugh:

Hi, I'm a first year student at UACP. So far I really like the program. Great faculty, great students. However, The school is in a rural setting, so it was a big change for me when I first moved here, but I'm starting to like it here and so are my other classmates. I'd recommend UACP to students who
1) don't mind rural setting and
2)who is looking to save some mone and get out one year early. tuition is cheap compared to other programs ($20000 first year, $26000 second &third year). Plus the cost of living here is cheaper overall,

The faculty and students here are awesome which makes up for the lack of clubs/malls around the school. Hope that helps

Hi guys,
Is anyone still looking for a roomate? I got a 2 bedroom and bathroom apartment.
If interested, just send me a message.