UB (OOS) vs. UPenn

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rattail

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
UB estimated cost ~276k
Pros
In-state tuition after the first year
Low cost of living
Solid program
Option to engage in research

Cons
Far from home
The area
The weather

UPenn estimated cost ~338k
Pros
brand new facilities
close to home
Solid program
Research
Recorded lectures

Cons
Cost of attendance
Cost of living will be higher than Buffalo
Living in a city may take some getting used too

I enjoyed interviewing at both programs. Faculty at both schools were very nice as were the students. If cost wasn't an issue I would hands down go to Penn because it is closer to home. I'm also applying for the 3-year HPSP but no guarantee I will get it.

Members don't see this ad.

I actually had to make this very difficult decision, and like you OP I enjoyed interviewing at both schools as they both seemed to genuinely support their dental students. I ultimately settled on UB due to its close proximity to home, in-state tuition (I'm a NY resident) and proven clinical program. However it seems like your circumstances are a little different - closer proximity to Penn and OOS.

Continue asking yourself the question:

Would you be okay paying the price difference of 62k (before interest, probably closer to around 80k after) assuming you don't receive the 3 yr HPSP scholarship? (I heard the scholarships have been becoming more competitive due to less being given, but I don't have any credible sources other than SDN)

That said, there's still a chance, but always be prepared for the worst-case scenario.

Regardless, no matter which school you pick you will be getting a great education :) Congrats on the acceptances!

Reactions: 1 users