close to home
Solid program
Research
Recorded lectures

Cons
Cost of attendance
Cost of living will be higher than Buffalo
Living in a city may take some getting used too

I enjoyed interviewing at both programs. Faculty at both schools were very nice as were the students. If cost wasn't an issue I would hands down go to Penn because it is closer to home. I'm also applying for the 3-year HPSP but no guarantee I will get it.

Sbofet

2+ Year Member
Dec 7, 2016
I actually had to make this very difficult decision, and like you OP I enjoyed interviewing at both schools as they both seemed to genuinely support their dental students. I ultimately settled on UB due to its close proximity to home, in-state tuition (I'm a NY resident) and proven clinical program. However it seems like your circumstances are a little different - closer proximity to Penn and OOS.

Continue asking yourself the question:

Would you be okay paying the price difference of 62k (before interest, probably closer to around 80k after) assuming you don't receive the 3 yr HPSP scholarship? (I heard the scholarships have been becoming more competitive due to less being given, but I don't have any credible sources other than SDN)

That said, there's still a chance, but always be prepared for the worst-case scenario.

Regardless, no matter which school you pick you will be getting a great education :) Congrats on the acceptances!

Reactions: 1 users

Life of Pablo

Hola
5+ Year Member
Feb 19, 2016
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
If you want to do general dentistry, prosth, perio or even peds, I would go with the cheaper option. If you are considering omfs, endo, or ortho, the 62k is worth it imo.

Reactions: 1 user
About the Ads
This thread is more than 1 year old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.