UB or GMU for pre-med?

Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

corticophile

Full Member
7+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi guys,

So I'm currently looking at schools and I'm trying to balance between environment and strength of program, so I have it down to a couple colleges.

University at Buffalo
~Supposedly a very strong pre med program and guaranteed acceptance into UB Medical School without having to take MCATS given a GPA of 3.75+ across all 4 years.
~It's in Buffalo, where I live, giving me in state tuition so I don't have to worry about scholarships or debt given the amount in my college savings.
~It's in Buffalo, and I don't really like Buffalo at all. Plus, I want to possibly get away from home.

George Mason University
~I absolutely LOVE the area of DC that this school is in. I have been four times now and it was just as amazing each time I went.
~Biology/Neuroscience (my desired major) programs seem to be decent.
~I hear the pre med advisor at GMU is garbage.
~Apparently the chemistry department is a wreck
~No medical school
~One of a few schools in the area that I'm competitive for.
~Will have to pay out of state tuition.
 
Hi guys,

So I'm currently looking at schools and I'm trying to balance between environment and strength of program, so I have it down to a couple colleges.

University at Buffalo
~Supposedly a very strong pre med program and guaranteed acceptance into UB Medical School without having to take MCATS given a GPA of 3.75+ across all 4 years.
~It's in Buffalo, where I live, giving me in state tuition so I don't have to worry about scholarships or debt given the amount in my college savings.
~It's in Buffalo, and I don't really like Buffalo at all. Plus, I want to possibly get away from home.

George Mason University
~I absolutely LOVE the area of DC that this school is in. I have been four times now and it was just as amazing each time I went.
~Biology/Neuroscience (my desired major) programs seem to be decent.
~I hear the pre med advisor at GMU is garbage.
~Apparently the chemistry department is a wreck
~No medical school
~One of a few schools in the area that I'm competitive for.
~Will have to pay out of state tuition.

Nothing against GMU (I'm actually quite a fan) but if going to Buffalo means no undergrad debt, I'd say go there. Leaving home is great; I think everyone should do it for a while. Without undergrad debt you may feel you have more options to do that later on.
 
Nothing against GMU (I'm actually quite a fan) but if going to Buffalo means no undergrad debt, I'd say go there. Leaving home is great; I think everyone should do it for a while. Without undergrad debt you may feel you have more options to do that later on.
Alright, I would have included stony brook and a couple others but I think they're a bit too competitive for me. That said, I haven't spent time calculating my weighted GPA so I'll have to figure that out before I say that's not in the cards.

Thanks for the advice 🙂
 
Where did you hear about the guaranteed acceptance to UB med school? Is that an assumption or a real thing?